Junior Tools Programmer

Started by
1 comment, last by LimEeSiang 10 years, 1 month ago

Hi, I'm interested in getting a job in the game industry as a tools programmer.

I have experience in writing core engine, 2D physics (didnt have a chance to work on 3D physics), graphics (OpenGL), tools, fast prototyping, game development and pretty much most of the stuff you need to get any game created from scratch without any engine. I'm confident at prioritising my task, to get the most work done with the least amount of time (heck I do that all the time for all my game project, else I won't get anything done...).

I have built a WYSIWYG level editor for one of my game project Chrono Disfunglement (which you can find in my portfolio page). asset pipeline for the same project and misc tools for other project for path editing, android deployment and etc. But they were all build using C++ (partly cause there isnt a need for any GUI and I only knew C/C++). Almost all the game project I worked on was build from scratch using C++ and OpenGL and I coded a huge portion of them.

I recently graduated and I have been spending time picking up C#, Unity3D, html, css and etc. to diversify my skill sets.

From what I have Googled, knowing multiple language like C# (for UI) and Python (for scripting when exporting assets) seems to be important as a tools programmer but I'm not exactly sure since information regarding tools programmer are extremely vague and it varies widely depending on the company. Some view tools programmer as a senior only role and some view it as a entry level only, whereas some view it as important as a graphics programmer.

Now my problem is that I haven't had a lot of programming years (I picked up programming roughly 3 years ago and also my interest in game industry started sometime around there), hence I only had time to learn C/C++ since apart from programming there was still linear algebra and all the countless other stuff that needs to be learnt.

Also, I noticed quite a few post over here advised posting sample code, is that really important? I'm kind of reluctant to post my code for any of my game project since they have a relatively short project time (average of 4 to 8 months) and we have a lot to do (engine has to be written from scratch and a game has to be made too). So my code are kind of... not exactly something I'm satisfied with. Also since I pretty much own the entire system (when you have like 2 programmers you don't really have to share a system with another fellow, I guess that's the benefit of a small team lol), there isn't really a need for me to comment most of my implementation. But most of them are split into small function with descriptive function name. But if it is important, I could always write another engine from scratch that is properly commented, but that will probably take quite a fair bit of time and time isn't exactly something I have, I wanna get a job fast and start learning more.

Any comments and tips to improve my portfolio and knowledge will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Portfolio

Advertisement

1. Also, I noticed quite a few post over here advised posting sample code, is that really important?

2. I'm kind of reluctant to post my code for any of my game project since they have a relatively short project time (average of 4 to 8 months) and we have a lot to do (engine has to be written from scratch and a game has to be made too). So my code are kind of... not exactly something I'm satisfied with.

3. Also since I pretty much own the entire system (when you have like 2 programmers you don't really have to share a system with another fellow, I guess that's the benefit of a small team lol), there isn't really a need for me to comment most of my implementation.

4. But most of them are split into small function with descriptive function name. But if it is important, I could always write another engine from scratch that is properly commented, but that will probably take quite a fair bit of time

5. and time isn't exactly something I have, I wanna get a job fast and start learning more.

1. Good sample code is important, yes.

2. It's not advisable to post slapdash sample code.

3. Good code is well commented.

4. An employer would be more interested in seeing game code than engine code.

5. It may take time to get a job. You might as well start building a portfolio.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1. Also, I noticed quite a few post over here advised posting sample code, is that really important?

2. I'm kind of reluctant to post my code for any of my game project since they have a relatively short project time (average of 4 to 8 months) and we have a lot to do (engine has to be written from scratch and a game has to be made too). So my code are kind of... not exactly something I'm satisfied with.

3. Also since I pretty much own the entire system (when you have like 2 programmers you don't really have to share a system with another fellow, I guess that's the benefit of a small team lol), there isn't really a need for me to comment most of my implementation.

4. But most of them are split into small function with descriptive function name. But if it is important, I could always write another engine from scratch that is properly commented, but that will probably take quite a fair bit of time

5. and time isn't exactly something I have, I wanna get a job fast and start learning more.

1. Good sample code is important, yes.

2. It's not advisable to post slapdash sample code.

3. Good code is well commented.

4. An employer would be more interested in seeing game code than engine code.

5. It may take time to get a job. You might as well start building a portfolio.

Alright, thanks for the advise

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement