Which software to use to record composite 2D animation data?

Started by
0 comments, last by Komatsu 10 years, 1 month ago

Sorry if this topic should have been open in graphics programming. I was not too sure about its correct location.

I want to use pixel art in my game (mostly because characters will be low resolution, 64 to 80 pixels high), and I plan to have the characters customizable, which means that the game will use a paperdolling system to have the character look reflects their equipment.

The plan is to draw and animate the parts (arms, head, torso, legs, weapons) separately.

I cannot make good use of a skeletal animation tool like Spine (at least I believe so) for the animations because I won't use rotations(the characters will be represented in an isometric perspective, 3/4 profile, so rotations won't work too well, and pixel art does not work too well with rotations in the first place, but I suppose it would not be an issue if only used for in between frames).

I could record all of it manually, but it would be error prone, and a lot more work.

So is it worth using Spine or Spriter just to easily set up record the animation data (if the interface good enough that it would take less time to compose animations there than to record them on hand, even though I won't use the skeletal animations at all)? If not, which other software would allow me to automate this process (ie to easily define and record the sprite needed for each part, and its location for each animation frame)?

Advertisement

I would check out the liberated pixel cup assets and base sheet on opengameart. life will be much easier if you use lpc base sheet to create your characters.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement