recreate frostbite destruction physics

Started by
3 comments, last by Marcus Ramsey 9 years, 11 months ago
Hello!

I want to know if there is any detailed information on the web talking about how the frostbite engine achieved such a lvl of distructable environments. And the techniques they used. I am trying to recreate very similar environment destruction in cryengine.ive followed some tutorials, but they all don't look like what you see in battlefield 4 not to mention the frame rate always drops. How can I create distruction like what you see in battlefield 4 but also keep the performance high for large scale multiplayer. Thank you!
Advertisement

I vote BSP tree, where each destructive event finds multiple shear planes to 'chop up' the world (or relevant piece/portion), and treat each individual chunk as an independent object. But I have no idea what they are actually doing.

Interesting idea

There are probably multiple systems at multiple levels of detail at work here. There's a presentation on how they did smaller scale destruction in their frostbite 2 engine by using a technique they call "Destruction masking using volume distance fields", they're probably also using this to some extent in frostbite 3.

The slides for this can be found here: http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/siggraph10-arrdestruction-maskinginfrostbite2

I gets all your texture budgets!

Wow thank you so much!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement