I need ideas for a game...

Started by
11 comments, last by polyfrag 9 years, 10 months ago
First of all, hello everyone, just created my account.. and sorry if this is the wrong category.. I don't know where to post this kind of topic..

So I have been trying to think of a game to make but I really got no ideas... I have started about 3 projects but none of them are original and they are very boring and repetitive.. I never finished them..

I am looking to make a game that includes multiplayer feature, rankings, clans (player crews or teams) also with ranking... and possibly upgrades (doesn't matter where but it should contain them)

EDIT: Forgot to tell you I want to do it a browser game, text based (PHP/HTML/Java etc)

What are your suggestions?
Ty

My current project is Caventure, a MMORPG.

I am a 15 year old developer. I am programming for fun since 5 years.

Advertisement

First of all, hello everyone, just created my account.. and sorry if this is the wrong category.. I don't know where to post this kind of topic..

So I have been trying to think of a game to make but I really got no ideas... I have started about 3 projects but none of them are original and they are very boring and repetitive.. I never finished them..

I am looking to make a game that includes multiplayer feature, rankings, clans (player crews or teams) also with ranking... and possibly upgrades (doesn't matter where but it should contain them)

EDIT: Forgot to tell you I want to do it a browser game, text based (PHP/HTML/Java etc)

What are your suggestions?

Ty

Ok so i got this crazy idea, you should make a sprite like mario that can jump and that stuff, then you can have multyplayer where you can jump with other people, ranking and clans will come because you will count how many jumps they made, i want to compete in jumping that sounds so fun.

For upgrades since it doesn't matter you can change the mario sprite eye colors, that's right, make tons of eye colors, players will love eye color, you can pick from all the RGB spectrum that's allot of eye colors, but lock them for starters, only pros should have all the eye colors unlocked!

:)

Thanks. Sounds ok, but not really what I want. It should be something like a user owns a city.. or idk something... And upgrades it... Something like that, not really a city, whatever you guys think of ... I'll take some of your ideas BaneTrapper.

Waiting for more suggestions...

I have been trying to think of a game to make but I really got no ideas...

If you have no ideas, why are you trying to make a game?

I'm serious. Stop trying to make a game. Wait until you have an idea. For another discussion on this question, see the other thread entitled "What do you do when you need an idea?" by fudgejp. http://www.gamedev.net/topic/656878-what-do-you-do-when-you-need-an-idea/

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I was kidding obviously that suggestion is horrible...

AND

It should be something like a user owns a city.

The hell is one supposed to make out of this?

From my experience you are horribly mistaking the thinking of game content process...

You should augment what you have instead of trying to add more stuff just cause...

For example, i have a map where units move, sleep, do town stuff... Now i wont add a godzilla cause i think it will be fun. It would break the town in seconds and all the work i put intro making the town, workers etc just got wasted cause godzilla...

So instead of godzilla i will think about something like: merchants, yes that would provide me with few things for example, Fresh bunch of resources from other lands i have not yet visited, crops, weapons... To get resources i think merchant would require payment, so how do you acquire it? Harvesting system(And pay with what you harvet). Ok you can go around map collecting stuff, that on its own is not really fun but when you think that if you harvest you can buy something cool it really "augments" the harvesting part.

Now you have that which is cool but "augment" it again! Crafting system? YES, harvesting got more purpose, from resources you harvested you can Craft stuff, plus you can sell the crafted stuff.

You see how one think gives other reason and appeal? Do that and you get good game imo.

Whatever then.. close this topic

Please do not redact your posts.
As for your question, game design is hard. Game design in a vacuum is even harder. Being original is also hard, though it really depends on your benchmark for originality. Even professional companies struggle with this stuff. Cut yourself some slack!

But it is hard like learning to be a good programmer is hard, neither happens overnight but both are very achievable. You get better with experience.

I'd recommend starting with small, themed game projects to get some experience. Something like Ludum Dare is an excellent way to learn some of these skills in a constrained environment.

Think on what you most like. (theme, ambient, climax, style, etc.)

Think on what is there that you generally like to play, think on why you like it, think on why those arent enough for your satisfaction anymore.

Think on something that would fulfill what those things already there arent fulfilling. Somethink youd like to play but doesnt exist.

Elaborate on that. Create mockupts, than prototypes. Dont lie to yourself, youre the one who will play it, do you really want to play it?

If fail, start again (think on why it sucks, compare to existing things, than think in another thing), if its going great, keep improving.

The problem you can face is only being able to think on projects that are too big (next gen mmo). This is a problem, if you cant see the charm of small but really charming and stylish projects, I dont know how youd go about it.

"Think on what you most like. (theme, ambient, climax, style, etc.)" -> try to apply those on small scale projects, maybe think on retro or gameboyish style games.

If theres isnt anything like youre imagining out there, good! Youre about to go original ;). Its hard, cause theres no references, but than remember to not lie to yourself ("do you want to play it?")

Dude, you should make a game about Ancient Rome, and Greece and barbarians. It would be strategy, but you could make the battles kinda like in Total War. Make a lot of units. Make a browser MMORTS that is worth playing please!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement