MMORPG idea - need help

Started by
3 comments, last by Giallanon 9 years, 10 months ago

Hello,

My name is Jason D. Black and I had an idea for what I believe would be a cool MMORPG game, but probably hard to create. My idea was a MMORPG game with a Pirate/Marine based theme. During this game you'll be able to sail the seas with a crew made up by other players of the online game. Together you fight against your foes, do events and quests, find treasure and become famous/infamous. You create your own ship and sail under your own flag following or being the captain of your crew.

Character creation:

When logging into the game you can for example chose between Navy or Pirates (maybe some other class like mercenary or trader). After that you will be able to create your character, name, Personality, appearance and clothes. There are no ranks you can pick from at the beginning however, you will start as what you chose. A navy will start as a sailor, a pirate will start as a buccaneer.

Levelling system:

The levelling system is combat based. If you only use a sword during fights you'll raise sword skills. When you trained shooting cannons you'll level at cannon skill. When you trained gun you'll raise gun skills. You'll raise a level when you have a combined skill combination for example 20, then 30 then 40, etc. So for example from level one to level 2 you can have 10 skill points in sword, 5 in cannon and 5 in gun. Together they will raise you from level one to level two. When levelling you can raise your stats not only in health points or speed, but also in skills. You can chose to for example raise your sword skills to be able to use better swords or do more damage. Same with guns and cannons, and so on. But there will be a cap on the skills, for example if you're level 5 and use all your points on cannon skill, but your cannon skill is to low you won't be able to raise it. This will give you a good reason to train the skill you want to level and become better in it.

Combat system:

Combat skills will be like Mount and blade warbands, which means player skill based. If you use a sword you'll have to move your mouse in the direction you want to hit the sword. If you want a slash from right to left you'll have to move your mouse that way. If you shoot a gun you'll have to aim the gun, same with the cannon. The ships will be able to sail on the water like the new assassin creed game, you'll be able to move around the ship while sailing and interact with it. Your crew can lower the sails and pull them up to go faster or slower, you can throw out a anchor to stop at sea, you'll be able to climb up the mast and look out of the crowsnest to spot enemy's. When the ship takes to much damage from the enemy it will break off in different stages. At the end it will sink.

Ship upgrading:

You can upgrade your ship at a working dock with the money you've gained and the objects you have collected during your journey. This will give you the possibility to work together with your crew. For example, you need wood, dye and metal to create something. You might have the wood, but you don't have the rest. Now your crew might have the rest or you'll have to trade on the market with other crews and traders. While upgrading your ship you'll be able to customise it, of course everyone can buy 3 different type of ships from small to big, difference in Naval and pirate ships of course. You'll be able to chose the wood colour, the figurehead the sails colour and you'll be able to make your own flag. You'll also be able to upgrade and buy cannons (to a limit) and even chose there position (realistically) on the ship.

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed my idea for now, I figured this would be an epic and popular game however I was questioning myself about the possibility of the game. I don't know much about memory, programming, servers, since I'm only someone with idea's and am a writer not a programmer or texture artist. But knowing that assassin creed already made my laptop lagg with the normal graphics on, I figured that even with a lot lower graphics this game would still have problems to work if you made it on a giant sea. maybe you could make it on different seas, making a loading screen between the other seas (if you know what i mean) Well, thanks for reading and please give your command!

Greets,

Jason D. Black

Advertisement

Look at any MMO's credit list that's had less than 8 years of development, that's available on the market.

Look at the average salary of people who work in game development.

If MMO's were a good place to start development, companies would not pay all these people.

Take it down to a 10 player sharded MORPG and you might have a shot of finishing it in 5 years.

There should be a bot for this :)

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/355/entry-2250155-why-you-shouldnt-be-making-an-mmo/

That said, a pirate game could be pretty cool. If you are still undeterred, I recently played an HTML5 MOBA:

http://www.treasurearena.com/

So, you know, there are scales. Just start small, with something you could actually accomplish without a couple million dollars. Unless you actually have a couple million dollars, in which start a game company.

take a look at assasins creed 4 ships dueling but as an MMO there are a lot of more posibilities! good luck friend

teaching myself game development for android smartphones

Pirates of the burning sea, or something very close, is the game you are looking for. Very close to what you described, and I think it's also free to play

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement