First Game

Started by
5 comments, last by DavitosanX 9 years, 10 months ago

So, I'm about to start working on my first game and I want to make a RPG. Sadly, I can't afford a game engine, and I also kind of want to do it with just code. I would like to know if it's possible to make a RPG, or really any game, with a start menu, gui, and all that fun stuff without an engine. I plan on using C++ and I'm thinking about learning Lua and Python to help with the process. So, is it possible?

Advertisement

It is definitely possible, and has been done several times before.

Still, planning an RPG as a first game is probably too much and as such it can be quite overwhelming and frustrating.

I'd tell you to go with Lua or Python first, making a classic arcade game clone or something like that.

Looking up the source of opensource games such as Flare can give you an idea of how they structured their game and this would give you a good heads up.

I also kind of want to do it with just code. I would like to know if it's possible to make a RPG, or really any game, with a start menu, gui, and all that fun stuff without an engine.

Of course it's possible.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Yes, definitely. An 'engine' is just the re-usable portion of previous games that can be reused for later games.

Learning C++ at the same time as learning game development can be difficult, so you'll have your work cut out for you. It's not a 'one or two month' hobby, but a two or three year journey, so be prepared to stick with it for the long haul.

Start your project small and add features one at a time. I suggest you break your tasks into sub-tasks and sub-sub-tasks so you know what to work on, and so you can actually see your own progress.

As everyone has pointed out, it is possible. Takes patience, dedication, determination, and motivation. I speak from experience, don't get stuck in the design stage. I started an RPG in 2002 (if I recall the year correctly) and have never got around to actually coding it.

I'm not sure what the limitations are on the "free" version, but RPG Maker has a free "lite" version of their engine.

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/free-programs

It's probably worth checking out. And if it's awesome enough to want the full version, save your money or wait for it to go on sale while you master using the free version.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

One of the benefits of using RPG Maker is that it has a Ruby-based script editor, though I'm not sure if it's also included in the lite version. With it, you can learn some basic programming, while developing an actual, playable game. Also, not trying to discourage you, but you'll realize just how massive a project an RPG truly is. Of course you can do it, even by yourself, but it's going to be hard work, and a long, long road before it's completed.

If you'd like to start programming with python, you should take a look at the tutorial on python's website. Make sure you understand every concept fully before moving on, and do lots of exercises! There's nothing worse than speeding through tutorials, since you won't remember much, and won't learn much either.

Starting out in game programming? Me too! Check out my blog, written by a newbie, for the newbies. http://myowngamejourney.blogspot.mx/

Also, if you don't mind a 5 seconds ad, here's a great free ebook for beginners on the subject of pygame: http://bit.ly/19Bem2q

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement