Newbie Game Dever

Started by
5 comments, last by DarkStoorM 9 years, 5 months ago

Hey all, just introducing myself. I'm Chris and hopefully will be starting my journey into game development. I'd really like to start developing mobile games. I have a basic understanding of programming, yet haven't produced anything myself. I definitely don't have any graphic design abilities so it's going to be hard. I do understand there's far more to a game than just a single person. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll meet some like minded individuals and put something together. Good meeting you all!

Advertisement

Welcome. And, nice to meet you too :)

You're not alone in the lack of artistic skills, all my projects look like something a 5th grader's parents would put on the fridge :P

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

Welcome and good luck ahead!

Welcome aboard sir. Typically the lounge (Forums -> Community Interaction -> GDNet Lounge) is used for things like introductions. The For Beginners thread is more for specific questions when you're starting out in your GameDev career.

Be sure to read the beginner's FAQ. :)

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

If you lack artistic skill but would like to be able to produce something of usable to good quality, have a look at the "visual arts" forum on this page. Lots of other people were in your situation before and this subforum is full of useful advice about how to make the best of the limited skills everyone has.

Welcome aboard and let me tell you there never has been a better time to start with game development... maybe its not a good time to get rich with it, with all the other people, indie or not, competing with you tongue.png...

But then nobody really starts in this field to get rich. And to have fun with it it is a great time. So many great engines, tools, frameworks came within the financial reaches of common indies with limited or no budget, so many only tutorials and forums like this are available.

Now start working on your skills, and come up with some great little games.

You have bad art skills? Same. Just go to the classifieds and hope someone does the job. From personal experience, I found people will work as soon as you pay them.

What will you make?

Hey! Nice to meet you too, I'm also new here (StackExchange brought me here), so gonna take a look at the introduction forum biggrin.png

But anyway, I'd want to start the mobile game development too and I found an interesting website called Kilobolt.

Since OP mentioned the mobile game dev stuff, I think I can leave this here: http://www.kilobolt.com/game-development-tutorial.html

But not gonna start any soon, since I have a browser game to finish, but did you guys hear about that tutorial? Is it a good one to start with?

Maybe this one will be kinda helpful and Chris (OP) might be interested too, so I don't want to make just another thread for this :D

Their tutorial is mainly for:

• "absolute beginners"
  • People with experience in Java, but not in game dev
  • Java developers

What do you guys think about it? Are there any other cool tutorials to take a look at?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement