View more

Image of the Day

Adding some finishing touches...
Follow us for more
#screenshotsaturday #indiedev... by #MakeGoodGames https://t.co/Otbwywbm3a
IOTD | Top Screenshots

The latest, straight to your Inbox.

Subscribe to GameDev.net Direct to receive the latest updates and exclusive content.

Which of these games would you like to read more about?

4: Adsense
  • You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Which of these games would you like to read more about? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of these would you like to read about?

1. Solar Winds: The Escape (Adventure Space Game) (4 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

2. Raptor: Call of the Shadows (Vertical Scroller Shoot'em up) (6 votes [15.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. Scorched Earth (Multiplayer turn-based tank battle, similar to gorrilaz) (4 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

4. System Shock II (FPS/RPG Hybrid precursor) (11 votes [28.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.95%

5. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (D&D-styled RPG, top-down) (5 votes [13.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

6. Fantasy Empires: (D&D-styled grand strategy) (5 votes [13.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

7. Wages of War: (Realistic Tactical Game: Squad) (3 votes [7.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

8. All of these games suck! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Orymus3   Members   

0Likes

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:13 AM

Based on the success of my latest series (Retro Mortis, which I'm finishing part 3 as we speak), I'm interested in continuing writing about games. Obviously, with Christmas coming up, I'll hardly have much time to dedicate to a multi-part series, but I thought I could focus on a single-game retro mortis for a change.

Which of these would you like to read about?

This is a tricky question. Your instinct may be to go for the title you know the best, because it relates to you, but I strongly feel that people would actually benefit from reading about old dusty games they've never heard of.

At any rate, I'll use this poll's result to determine where to go next (I've allowed multiple choices).

Thanks!

-=- My Articles -=-
Getting Games Done - Method and tools on how to start a hobby project and get it Done!

The Art of Enemy Design in Zelda: A Link to the Past - Reverse-engineering functional enemy design from applied example.

Retro Mortis - "RTS" - Article Series (4 Parts) on the history of RTS development (4th part finally released!!!)

#2 l0calh05t   Members   

1Likes

Posted 08 December 2014 - 09:30 AM

I went for System Shock II because the FPS/RPG type of game has become far more widespread since then (an pointing out the evolutionary changes could be interesting)

Aside from Raptor (seems too simple) and Scorched Earth (seems too unusual, other turn-based game options could be interesting), I think all of them would be interesting.

#3 adt7   Members   

1Likes

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:00 AM

Based how on how great the series has been so far I'm happy to read about anything you're willing to write about! The first two parts have been fantastic and I'm looking forward to the third. Keep up the good work.

#4 Orymus3   Members   

0Likes

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

I went for System Shock II because the FPS/RPG type of game has become far more widespread since then (an pointing out the evolutionary changes could be interesting)

Aside from Raptor (seems too simple) and Scorched Earth (seems too unusual, other turn-based game options could be interesting), I think all of them would be interesting.

I was hesitant to include System Shock II because it felt like this would spin into another series which would undoubtedly include one of my favorites of all times: Deus Ex: The Conspiracy. Sadly enough, it is a genre that I know too little about (aside from SSII, Bioshock & the 3 Deus Ex Titles), I feel I am partly ignorant here and my analysis would probably not be up to my own standards. Approaching SSII as a "single" is a bit more complex though, given its legacy.

Also, given something Todd Howard said at D.I.C.E. in 2011, pretty much every game nowadays could be called a RPG, in that you play a role, and that the core mechanics of RPGs have started to show up in pretty much any game at all. That would make this too broad a genre to survey (making FPS/RPG hybrid hard to nail down).

Raptor may be very simple, it is a straightforward title, but it is, to this day, one of the best vertical scrollers out there (hence why it was ported to mobile not too long ago). I've put this one on the list, and voted it up simply because I feel that forcing myself to understand what makes this game tick in comparison to other titles could teach me a thing or two about quality and proper execution. It's just a feeling however.

Scorched Earth may be unusual, but it was well executed, and a definite precursor to Worms. There's much to learn from it, but I agree that it may not appeal to a very large crowd and may be too much of a niche.

Based how on how great the series has been so far I'm happy to read about anything you're willing to write about! The first two parts have been fantastic and I'm looking forward to the third. Keep up the good work.

A fan! wub.png

Thanks a bunch!

Part 3 is coming along nicely and I might just be able to get it out before Christmas (which would rock).

-=- My Articles -=-
Getting Games Done - Method and tools on how to start a hobby project and get it Done!

The Art of Enemy Design in Zelda: A Link to the Past - Reverse-engineering functional enemy design from applied example.

Retro Mortis - "RTS" - Article Series (4 Parts) on the history of RTS development (4th part finally released!!!)

#5 looifgames   Members   

0Likes

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:45 AM

i love to read about Wages of War 

Play io Games http://iogames.org/