Entry Level Programming Jobs

Started by
4 comments, last by SeraphLance 9 years, 3 months ago

Hello,

Please forgive me if this has been answered too many times before.

I am proficient (according to eLance.com) in c++, openGL, Game Development, Data Structures, OOPS, etc.

How may this translate into a full-time position in the games industry, where I live in a town of about 500 people in Canada? What choices do I have, as far as locating a desired position (on both ends), networking with like-minded people, etc.?

A full-page ad online seems to be very effective in finding freelance work with low barrier-to-entry projects, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to spend money marketing my services, and if so, which forums would be valuable to an aspiring game programmer.

If there are any lessons to be learned in this area of programming, I'd gladly take the plunge. It just seems like such a wide area of expertise, with no distinct signs pointing in the right direction for someone with the talent, but no inside info on the industry.

Thank you,

Kevin

Advertisement
I found work by networking. It's not what you know but who you know in a lot of circumstances that gets you the opportunities. Where possible make business relationships if you want the opportunities.

Good luck!

where I live in a town of about 500 people in Canada?

Is moving out of the question? Relocating to Seattle from Nowheresville, Michigan did wonders for my career, and for quite a few others I know in the area. You don't need to leave your country, either; bigger Canadian cities also have a ton of video game companies, including Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver.

It's far easier to network when you can just go to local weekly/monthly industry events and most gaming jobs require you to work in the office (for very good reasons).

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

1. How may this translate into a full-time position in the games industry, where I live in a town of about 500 people in Canada?
2. What choices do I have, as far as locating a desired position (on both ends), networking with like-minded people, etc.?
3. A full-page ad online seems to be very effective in finding freelance work with low barrier-to-entry projects,

1. You didn't mention whether or not there are any game companies in your town. If there aren't, move.
2. Live near game companies, and read this forum's FAQs.
3. Don't spend money on a full-page ad. Build a portfolio website of your own. But freelance work is rare for inexperienced people. Read the FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Next to the things that others have already mentioned:

I don't know what eLance.com tests you on, I'm going to assume it's probably sufficient in most cases, but you might be better of showing off some work on a portfolio. As an entry level programmer you're probably lacking projects and with that, lack showing you are capable of doing what is needed to make a game.

I would suggest you also start working on some projects while you are searching. Next to increasing your changes of getting a job, it will also keep you sharp and updated which will also help should you get a programming test from a company.

You'll very likely need to relocate. I find that most decent-sized companies are willing to fly you in for an interview and cover relocation expenses, even for junior/associate programmers. I don't believe the usual "move first, look for jobs in the area later" advice is worthwhile unless you're interested in smaller shops.

What they're usually not willing to allow is remote work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement