Starting With Board Game Design

Started by
2 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 1 month ago

Today while looking at a CS course, I got an idea for a board game. And suddenly my excitement for making games was kindled. I started getting all sorts of ideas and rules. And soon I was overwhelmed with the possibilities and ideas for implementation. So I decided to look up google on how to go about designing a board game in general and found this:

http://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/articles/how-to-learn-board-game-design-and-development--gamedev-11607

It looks like the preliminary process is very much the same as making a video game.

I think this is a good way to jump into game design. If you were making a board game, what would be your process?

Is the process mentioned here good enough to get started with? It doesn't go? I am liking everything so far.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Advertisement

Relevant Link

Jay Little (designer behind a lot of good boardgames, including FantasyFlight's top selling X-Wing Miniatures).

Also, I've heard from various designers that prototyping is key (such as is the key in video games). Several designers tend to repurpose components from other games or various trinkets as physical components to test out their mechanics and iterate.

This is the same approach I've used when designing my tactical board game and it works great.

A useful book may be "Challenges for Game Designers". Brenda Romero was visiting Ireland last year and gave a number of talks and workshops in our college. I bought the book after really enjoying the workshops. Most were based around paper prototyping games which is essentially just creating board games a lot of the time. It certainly helps you understand game design a lot more as well.

I like the idea of prototyping board games as a piece of software too sometimes, if only because I can run algorithms in real-time to validate data/balance and possibilities (particularly helpful to determine possibilities in a miniatures game for example).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement