Music as a graph

Started by
5 comments, last by Valoon 8 years, 10 months ago
So, I woke up with an idea the other day (more like an image). It was a series of fits and curves that visualized a series of notes. I wrote it down. Googled around but couldn't find anything. I attached the photo. Anyone ever seen anything like this as a way to visualize music, where the slopes can represent pitch, or even other facets of sound?

It sounds like an idea I would like to test out once I get more into sound. I want to formalize it.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Advertisement
Sure.

Piano roll
Piano roll
Piano roll
Piano roll
Rick roll

Written sheet music can be looked at the same way, pretty much. I suppose one could create a program/app that could import drawings and turn them into music. I don't know how listenable the end result would be. You could also look at the drawing and create music that follows the lines, could produce some interesting results. Seems like kind of a novelty to me, but I suppose the right person could turn the concept into something useful.

I think the dream came from a video series I was watching about quantum mechanics about the duality of particles and waves in everything.

Neither piano roll nor MIDI seem to reflect the slopes of the sounds though.

This reminds me of Brian Eno's album 'Music for Airports'. This is quite an interesting article on how it was made, and if you scroll down there are some diagrams for the music which are weirdly similar to your own.

http://www.trustmeimascientist.com/2014/03/03/brian-eno-ambient-1-music-for-airports/

That is exactly the idea I thought of! Thanks for this article. I have to read it to find out how it works, but I am seeing the step graphs and everything!

It almost looks like an LFO graph.

I think some people already did that, I am pretty sure I heard about this kind of things already but I don't remember who did it sorry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement