Would you try free PC and laptop repair?

Started by
24 comments, last by cyberspace009 8 years, 9 months ago

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would try free PC/Laptop repair? I know a friend of mine who is trying to start a company offering free PC repair.

The comapny is a non-profit organization and they will depend on donations. My friend also said they will use a Van to pick up PC/Laptops and repair them in the van.

So what is my question?

1. Will you donate to a non-profit organization involving free PC/Laptop repair?

2. Do you think this is a good idea?

3. Are there any pros/cons you see in this company?

I want to join him and help his company grow but I have my doubts.

Thank you!

Advertisement

That sounds like a very tough gig to get rolling with. Are there any computer related charities in your area already? It may be easier to work with if they set things up as a 'community enhancement' kind of thing, rather than just computer repair. Focus on not just fixing people's computers and helping them make better use of their current hardware to communicate and find information, but also collect and refurbish older but still useful gear to keep stuff out of landfills and ensure families with tighter budgets can still get online for communications and basic entertainment.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

That sounds like a very tough gig to get rolling with. Are there any computer related charities in your area already? It may be easier to work with if they set things up as a 'community enhancement' kind of thing, rather than just computer repair. Focus on not just fixing people's computers and helping them make better use of their current hardware to communicate and find information, but also collect and refurbish older but still useful gear to keep stuff out of landfills and ensure families with tighter budgets can still get online for communications and basic entertainment.

I am not sure if there are any computer related charities in the area. And refurbishing older computers can be expensive because some parts can cost a lot of money. For example, DDR RAM can be more expansive than DDR2 RAM in some cases (or other parts). However, I like the idea of keeping our planet clean and try to recycle computer parts for others who want a simple computer for smaller activities (browse the internet or basic entertainment).

No, unless you include free phone/tablet repair in there too. Because it turns out that a lot of people, especially in lower economic brackets, are almost exclusively on mobile platforms. And how many people have you seen carrying smashed iPhones? It'd be a useful service.

As a way to help the world out, it seems interesting and laudable. As a way to run a company and make a living, it seems ludicrous.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

No, unless you include free phone/tablet repair in there too. Because it turns out that a lot of people, especially in lower economic brackets, are almost exclusively on mobile platforms. And how many people have you seen carrying smashed iPhones? It'd be a useful service.

As a way to help the world out, it seems interesting and laudable. As a way to run a company and make a living, it seems ludicrous.

I actually told him that, he said he will never do phone/tablet repair. I try to explain to him that donations can be a problem as well but he seems very positive about it.

From a business stand point the real question can't only be "Would you use this freely offered service", it has to be "Would you donate money to support this freely offered service so that the service can continue to be offered." If you can get lots of people answering yes to the second question, then it really doesn't even matter if everyone answers no to the first, just as long as you can convince people to keep saying yes and handing over money.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Yeah I wouldn't bother.

I actually told him that, he said he will never do phone/tablet repair. I try to explain to him that donations can be a problem as well but he seems very positive about it.

Yeah I'd wish him all the best and do something else with your time.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I am not sure if PC repair business is thriving nowadays. With mobile phones and tablets, most computing devices now are packaged as one unit. If you brick the whole thing, most likely people would just buy a new one. Better and new phones come out every year anyway.

There is a community near my office where they gather once every few weeks or so to fix people's stuff. Maybe your friend should try that first, to test the demands.

Would I try free PC and laptop repair? Absolutely not.

Even with paid computer repair, some computer repairmen steal your email credentials and whatever else. (did you forget to explicitly log out of twitter or gmail before handing it over?)

Happened to my elderly uncle. The repairman then sent a bunch of emails in his name to his relatives, claiming he was stuck in a financial issue, and needed a few hundred dollars fast wired to Western Union. Made me want to break someone's legs. angry.png

I don't know if they caught the guy or not, but our relatives got the police involved, and since my uncle knew which repairman he used, I hope they eventually got him.

I'd just fix my own computers myself. And, since I'm the "computer guy" of my immediate family, they come to me to fix their issues. As for anyone else I'd potentially recommend service to - they can just bring it to me and pay me. And they do.

In addition to the above, has your friend considered potential liability issues?

What happens if he is unable to fix someone's equipment, or even worse manages to damage it further whilst attempting repairs? Your local laws may vary, but where I live (Victoria, Australia) he would be liable for damages in this sort of case even though the service is free. If repairs ARE successful, my local laws (again, yours may vary greatly) would also require that a warranty be offered for "a reasonable period of time", where "reasonable" is left intentionally vague for a judge to decide but in most cases meaning at least a year.

That aside, no, I wouldn't use such a service for the reasons Servant of the Lord outlined.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement