Is this game idea possible?

Started by
18 comments, last by NemesisLeon 8 years, 3 months ago

These ideas may sound vague or unoriginal, but I'm doing that purposely. What I mean by possible is, with respect to resources available to a studio.

I'm envisioning a game that would take place both in space and on different planets (all these points I list are integral to the story, even if they may not seem to be):

-The story follows multiple characters and is done in instalments. Similar to the walking dead game.

• The player is constantly exploring different environments on different worlds, in an RPG/FPS like capacity, the story is semi-linear so the only environment for one particular world that needs to be created is the one in which the current mission is set.

• New worlds and their environments will be created on a consistent basis as more instalments are released to showcase the depth of the universe and to keep the player invested in the game/story. The content I have is so vast that this will need a lot of time to accurately convey the story I have written, however it is done in a way which avoids monotony.

• A focus on realism, extremely polished and realistic graphically to bring to life the futuristic setting and high intensity gameplay portions, as well as bring an emotional factor. All tied together with accurate physics to bring a visceral feel to combat gameplay.

• AAA multiplayer component to bring unprecedented depth to the series and keep players invested for countless hours (many of my colleagues have experience in this area).

I know this is pretty vague but it is just a rough layout. What challenges would this face logistically, financially, etc...

I appreciate all helpful replies.

Thank you!

Advertisement
What you are describing sounds like it would be in the millions of dollars to make. What you are suggesting sounds similar to skyrim, only a different setting. Skyrim had a budget of 80 million dollars. If you even want a shot at what you are describing you will either need lots of funding and experience or you will have to cut back on your vision.

Having highly polished realistic graphics is at odds with having a large world to explore. If you were willing to go with a simple, maybe even 2d, art style you can more quickly create a large world to explore since the art assets can be created faster. You definitely can have both good graphics and a large world, but it will cost you.
My current game project Platform RPG

What you are describing sounds like it would be in the millions of dollars to make. What you are suggesting sounds similar to skyrim, only a different setting. Skyrim had a budget of 80 million dollars. If you even want a shot at what you are describing you will either need lots of funding and experience or you will have to cut back on your vision.

Having highly polished realistic graphics is at odds with having a large world to explore. If you were willing to go with a simple, maybe even 2d, art style you can more quickly create a large world to explore since the art assets can be created faster. You definitely can have both good graphics and a large world, but it will cost you.

Yeah, what you're talking about is a huge game. You need to think smaller first, unless you're rich.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

AAA
What challenges would this face financially

Ten million dollars (at a minimum).

Possible? Yes.

Good? Maybe.

Should it be done? Mmmmh. Sounds pretty meh as far as originality goes, but with good execution that usually doesn't matter (unless the market is completly saturated with similar stuff)

Can you afford it? Not unless you are in the top 1% of richest people in the world... don't forget that games are always a huge risk, about 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 will make a RoI, so the 10-100M $ you need to invest into such a project need to be chump change for you, else you risk loosing all that money and getting nothing in return, AND go broke because of it. You will still loose the money else, but you would also if in a long weekend in Las Vegas... well, in one hell of a weekend with little sleep and way too much gambling smile.png

Will you find investors for it? Well, depends on who you are more than your project really... are you a known Game Designer? Are you on the credit list of shipped games? If not, your chances are slim. then there is your project which doesn't sound anything original or interesting from your description. Sound pretty much like Mass Effect, maybe with added multiplayer. Seen that, done that.... and your game now will have massive competition thanks to Mass Effect being pretty successfull.

How about Kickstarter? Again, who are you? You still need to bring street creds to kickstarter nowadays... and a pretty fleshed out game concept (which what you write above is not). Then you could expect about 10k to 100k $ from Kickstarter, depending on how good you sell your concept or how much you can excite the Kickstarter crowd / how good you are at building a community. the 1+M $ you see sometimes being reached on Kickstarter for games is pretty much reserved for the big names, either known designers or remakes / sequels of known games.

How about selling the idea to a Studio? Forget it... you will fail even with a very innovative idea. Everyone has ideas. Yours doesn't stand out at all.

But....

Why don't you start NOW to make games? Learn programming, download Unity or Unreal Engine, learn 3D Modelling, learn how to use an engine editor, and get to work on your game idea?

Let me warn you, you have years of learning in front of you, you will again have many years to build the game you dream of.... but it could be done, if you get very expierienced and are not afraid of working 10+ years on the same project.

Maybe, just maybe, you will make something smaller along the way that does have a chance to get released in time, get some street creds with it, and are able to slowly work into a position where the game you describe becomes feasible.

Or maybe you are able to move into the Game Industry, work your ass off there for years, get to know people and earn their respect, and again get into a position where your idea become feasible.

Having talked of other games that sound similar before, ever thought about a Mod? Don't know if Mass Effect is moddable, but maybe a Multiplayer mod for Mass Effect would come close to what you describe?

As soon as you start adding superlatives in your features description, you should start thinking about downgrading your features or readiying your paycheck. As the others said, superlatives cost a lot of money.

If you want to have a good idea of the feasibility of a project. Take a very small part of your project and start programing it, you will have a better idea of what does it cost :)

If you want to have a good idea of the feasibility of a project. Take a very small part of your project and start programing it, you will have a better idea of what does it cost smile.png

Actually trying your hand at ANY kind of game development will give you a better idea about the feasability of game projects in general. Most non-devs horribly underestimate the amount of work even a trivial looking game took to produce, at least unless it wasn't cookie-cutter shovelware or straight copy-pasta.

Just as much as most technical people in development underestimate the amount of work needed for proper marketing... or any newbie in any other field of work.

Possible? Yes.

Good? Maybe.

Should it be done? Mmmmh. Sounds pretty meh as far as originality goes, but with good execution that usually doesn't matter (unless the market is completly saturated with similar stuff)

Can you afford it? Not unless you are in the top 1% of richest people in the world... don't forget that games are always a huge risk, about 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 will make a RoI, so the 10-100M $ you need to invest into such a project need to be chump change for you, else you risk loosing all that money and getting nothing in return, AND go broke because of it. You will still loose the money else, but you would also if in a long weekend in Las Vegas... well, in one hell of a weekend with little sleep and way too much gambling smile.png

Will you find investors for it? Well, depends on who you are more than your project really... are you a known Game Designer? Are you on the credit list of shipped games? If not, your chances are slim. then there is your project which doesn't sound anything original or interesting from your description. Sound pretty much like Mass Effect, maybe with added multiplayer. Seen that, done that.... and your game now will have massive competition thanks to Mass Effect being pretty successfull.

How about Kickstarter? Again, who are you? You still need to bring street creds to kickstarter nowadays... and a pretty fleshed out game concept (which what you write above is not). Then you could expect about 10k to 100k $ from Kickstarter, depending on how good you sell your concept or how much you can excite the Kickstarter crowd / how good you are at building a community. the 1+M $ you see sometimes being reached on Kickstarter for games is pretty much reserved for the big names, either known designers or remakes / sequels of known games.

How about selling the idea to a Studio? Forget it... you will fail even with a very innovative idea. Everyone has ideas. Yours doesn't stand out at all.

But....

Why don't you start NOW to make games? Learn programming, download Unity or Unreal Engine, learn 3D Modelling, learn how to use an engine editor, and get to work on your game idea?

Let me warn you, you have years of learning in front of you, you will again have many years to build the game you dream of.... but it could be done, if you get very expierienced and are not afraid of working 10+ years on the same project.

Maybe, just maybe, you will make something smaller along the way that does have a chance to get released in time, get some street creds with it, and are able to slowly work into a position where the game you describe becomes feasible.

Or maybe you are able to move into the Game Industry, work your ass off there for years, get to know people and earn their respect, and again get into a position where your idea become feasible.

Having talked of other games that sound similar before, ever thought about a Mod? Don't know if Mass Effect is moddable, but maybe a Multiplayer mod for Mass Effect would come close to what you describe?

I purposely left the details vague, believe me its nothing like Mass Effect or any other game you have played. If it was I wouldn't have bothered making this thread

The player is constantly exploring different environments on different worlds, in an RPG/FPS like capacity, the story is semi-linear so the only environment for one particular world that needs to be created is the one in which the current mission is set.

Yes, that's possible. It requires alot of content, and content = money.

New worlds and their environments will be created on a consistent basis as more instalments are released to showcase the depth of the universe and to keep the player invested in the game/story. The content I have is so vast that this will need a lot of time to accurately convey the story I have written, however it is done in a way which avoids monotony.

More content = more content creators (artists, 3D modellers, composers, level manufacturers, quest implementers, etc...) = costs more money.

A focus on realism, extremely polished and realistic graphically to bring to life the futuristic setting and high intensity gameplay portions, as well as bring an emotional factor. All tied together with accurate physics to bring a visceral feel to combat gameplay.

Polish = work = workers = costs money
"extremely polished" = costs more money

"high intensity gameplay", "accurate physics", "Realistic graphics" = more work = costs more money AND higher-skilled work = costs more money

believe me its nothing like Mass Effect or any other game you have played. If it was I wouldn't have bothered making this thread

Yes, but everyone says that (and also everyone says, "otherwise I wouldn't be wasting your time"). Since everyone who has no budget and no experience says that, then nobody is going to give the multi-million (often hundred-million or more for AAA games), budget necessary for you to make it.

All you gave us was the same kind of marketing vomit that we hear every E3 from every generic first person shooter developer. Saying, "Yea but I actually mean it! You'll all be really amazed! It's incredible! Amazing! Revolutionary! It'll change the face of the industry as we know it!", you might as well say "It'll cure cancer!", because even if it does cure cancer, nobody will believe you, and so nobody will fund you.

I purposely left the details vague [...] Is this game idea possible?

Yes, this is all "possible", but you didn't give any meaningful details, so we can't give detailed advice if you don't ask detailed questions.

The problem is ideas don't make games.
[Ideas + Lots of skilled labor + Lots of time] is what makes games.

If you don't already have [Lots of skilled labor], you can buy poor labor (for buggy broken games) for tens of millions of dollars. Skilled labor costs hundreds of millions.

Let's do the math. At an average of $80,000 for skilled labor, you'd require at least 2.5 years and at least 100 employees (graphic programmers, gameplay programmers, network programmers, artists, composers, 3D modelers, animators, voice-actors, motion-capture actors, lawyers, directors, quality assurance, etc... etc...).
That's a bare minimum of $20 million just for the labor, and that's excluding other business costs like healthcare for all the employees, renting a large enough building, the costs of all their expensive equipment, and so on.
And then you got to factor in marketing (which is equal to your development costs for big studios) because word of mouth doesn't do it alone except in freak incidents and cannot be depended on even for good games, and then you still got other costs like customer support after release.

The more you cut back your vision, the lower you can bring the costs. But if you talk AAA, you need AAA budgets, which are often $50 million or more, sometimes multiple hundreds of millions. These are just the ones we know about, and their known costs often only show a part of the real costs. This is rather typical.

If you go through that list, and ask yourself, "Is my game going to be better than this game?" then look at the cost, and say, "then I need a budget bigger than this game."

While not 100% accurate, it's close enough to the real picture (ignoring flukes that you cannot depend on) that it ought to give you a better idea of what you're up against.

Oh, and the farther back the game was created in time, the more money it'll cost to make something equivalent. It originally cost $40 million to make the *original* first release of WoW, way back in 2004. To make the same game today, but with modern graphics and modern gameplay, it would cost triple that or more. It's not inflation, it's that the costs to develop AAA games have been climbing higher and higher over the past 10 years as graphics have improved and hardware and player expectations have changed.

[Note: I don't work in the industry myself, so this information is 2nd and 3rd hand that I've picked up from accumulated reading over the years. It may be a little bit off, but it should be reasonably accurate]

I purposely left the details vague, believe me its nothing like Mass Effect or any other game you have played. If it was I wouldn't have bothered making this thread

Well, then you purposely left people answering you give you wrong answers, because what you call "details" here seem pretty big.

realistic AAA graphics, RPG/FPS Hybrid, and futuristic setting sound very much like Mass Effect. Of course, there can be a lot of variations of the theme, and even if the plan is the same, no two games are exactly alike if developed to the same specs.

The point is, how will you differentiate your game so that people will not think like me, "Oh, just like Mass Effect, just without a known brand and publisher... and isn't the next Mass Effect just around the corner? Meh, I'll rather wait for that"?

If you create "Mass Effect, but with a twist!"..... you are creating a Mass Effect clone in most peoples eyes. That doesn't need to be a bad thing, and your game can have its very own DNA... the point is, you now have very strong competition that you most probably cannot compete with.?

Now, just to make some things clear:

1. If you are afraid people could steal your idea. Don't be. No one will steal your idea here. Everyone on this board has too many of his own ideas, and given what you describe in the first post your idea is nothing somebody could just steal and develop, without investing a massive amount of money.

2. If you want to get good answers, you will have to give some details. Especially when you see that with the current amount of details given, people conclude that you want to create something AAA grade on your own. Probably you have a good idea how you can create an AAA game on a shoestrings budget, or how you can differentiate your game from others in the genre. People will not be able to read your mind though, and will be thinking the obvious: that you played Mass Effect and thought "man, I can create a better version of this"... or that you didn't knew about Mass Effect (or any other big name game similar to your idea) when you came up with your idea, but sadly your idea has already been made before.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement