Up to No Good (Jazz Theme)

Started by
4 comments, last by lowfatstrings 7 years, 10 months ago

This is, perhaps, my favorite track I did while at Beecave Games! It's a jazz theme much in the style of those 1930's cartoons. I really enjoyed working on this one and I'm quite proud of it (both in regards to the composition and the production). Devin Lawson did the great artwork. This theme isn't released yet - at least not currently - but I was able to get permission to post the music to my demo reel.

So please enjoy and, like always, feedback is always welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Advertisement

Very nice work! :)

I love 0:53 piano and the ghostly sounds here and there :D What is that instrument? Some synth with hard vibrato?

- Maybe you could add some more energy on 1:36 forward brass hits before the quieter hits.

- I think the cymbal hits are too loud for this kind of easy drummed jazz at some points. And maybe they are too similar also.

Keep up the good work :)

Thanks! It's a theremin. Well it's a synth with some portamento and vibrato which emulates a theremin. :P

Really appreciate the listen and the feedback!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Yeah, can't sit still when hearing this, great groove and great sound! The double bass solo is my favourite part without a doubt, really full sound and nice reverb too.

I guess the only thing that struck me when listening with headphones was that the song is leaning a bit to the left. Not sure if that's my imagination, but there seem to be a bit more low frequencies on the left than on the right. Maybe it's those toms combined with the rhythm guitar, the drums are panned quite wide.
Other than that, swinging track with a film-noiresque lining :D Sounds up to no good indeed!

Thanks Lost! :)

This is the last track I wrote for Beecave Games before they closed down. So it wasn't completely done but very, very close. I no longer have access to the rig or the session file so I can't go back and check on my pan settings. Off the top of my head, though, I think it might be the toms!

Really appreciate the feedback and listens!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Great work! The piano is top notch.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement