Why are there so few 'high quality' 2D MMORPGs?

Started by
17 comments, last by ericrrichards22 7 years, 7 months ago

To be more precise, what's the reason for the lack of high quality 2D sidescroller MMORPGs? Only ones that I know of are Maplestory and Elsword, Maplestory being too old and Elsword being, well, not exactly 2D.

When I think about it, it makes a lot more sense to go for a 2D sidescroller MMORPG than going for a generic 3D MMORPG which is pretty common these days. There's also the fact that it's pretty hard to compete against games like "GW2, FFXIV, Black Desert,etc.". Is my thinking shallow here? Is there any reason for game developers to not to choose this type of MMORPGs?

Advertisement

Personally, I find sidescroller RPG in general to be a really weird genre, I dont quite get the appeal (thou I loved front mission bio hazard on the snes).

RPG generally employs open world exploration, to have that in a side scroller..I dunno, it limits the design to weird world building/exploration. I dont think it even compares with 3d rpg in the same sense, it is its own thing. I find it hard to be immersive in the artsy fartsy sense that rpgs delves into.

What is the appeal to you? Im curious.

That's a good point. I also agree that it doesn't give the same open world feeling with 3D games especially when the map is divided into much smaller parts(as in maplestory).

The thing which I like the most would be the hack-n-slash grinding. Monsters are generally close to each other so you don't have to go out of your way to pack them together for your fancy AOE skill. You generally don't need to use your mouse as often either(guess depends on the game?) which, to me, is pretty nice. I also love the smooth movement animations and gameplay mechanics some of the sidescrollers have to offer(ex: Ori and the Blind Forest).

All in all, I agree that they have lots of differences compared to 3D genre but that itself could be a refreshing thing.

To be more precise, what's the reason for the lack of high quality 2D sidescroller MMORPGs? Only ones that I know of are Maplestory and Elsword, Maplestory being too old and Elsword being, well, not exactly 2D.

Probably the fact that you're the only person I recall ever being interested in this genre in the entire time I've been on Gamedev.net. (Which I'm sure is an exaggeration, but not far off.) I think this is a genre that never really took off in the West. I have to agree with Icebone1000 that the "2D sidescroller" aspect tends to conflict with the "massively multiplayer" aspect, but probably the biggest barrier is the general lack of familiarity among US/European players - which makes devs + publishers unlikely to invest in such a venture.

How massive are we talking? Starbound or Terraria are probably as close as one gets for MMORPGs, though not very massive. Though massive and sidescrolling don't go hand in hand.

How massive are we talking? Starbound or Terraria are probably as close as one gets for MMORPGs, though not very massive. Though massive and sidescrolling don't go hand in hand.

"Massively" usually refers to simultaneous player count, rather than world size.

Starbound and Terraria just have massive worlds but can't host enough players in those worlds to be called "massively multiplayer".

I recall there being some fairly-popular side-scrolling MMO/MUD-likes in the East, but yeah, it never really took hold in the West outside of MapleStory and the like. I even wonder if "took hold" is too strong a phrase to use for their Eastern popularity, such as it is.

I wish I could recall the name of the one I'm thinking of -- it was a mishmash of 2.5D brawler, that borrowed persistence/player interaction from MMOs, some rogue-like elements, and was set in a medieval fantasy sort of world.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I've been playing Dungeon Fighter Online; it's kind of like that (I haven't noticed any Roguelike properties in it yet)

It's a side-scrolling sprite-art beat-'em-up with an MMO layer on top. You can only have four people in a dungeon at a time, but out in the towns it's a screen-full-mess of players standing around, just like a typical MMO.

That seems pretty close to what I'm recalling, though I don't think exactly it. I'd guess DFO took pretty direct inspiration from the one I'm thinking of. I think the main roguelike elements I'm recalling were somewhat less focus on combat and more on exploration, loot, etc. But perhaps its semantics, its it bit hard to say where roguelike ends and MMO begins with some of these traits.

Actually, I wonder if what I'm recalling was an earlier iteration of DFO -- according to Wikipedia it originated in Korea in 2005, which is the right timeline, and I'd imagine its gone through some visual and gameplay overhauls in all that time. They claim the user base peaked at 300 million, so its far less niche than I'd have thought.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Side scrollers are closer to 1D than to 2D, I think. You can jump, and there are someties several levels at different heights, but for the most part, it's left-right.

I imagine a sidescroller MMORPG could quite possibly suck a lot due to collisions and people blocking others. If there are thousands of cuncurrent players, there may be tens of players on the same screen. With nowhere to go but left and right (and jumping), that's a lot of hassle. This is already a problem in 2D not-sidescroller as well as in 3D games (which often are only 2D anyway, just the graphcis are 3D). But remove one dimension, and it gets really painful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement