new composer to the community

Started by
1 comment, last by FLUQS 7 years, 6 months ago

Hey everyone,

Will introduce myself a bit, as I'm new to the community of game developers and VGM composers.

My name is Jim Zweerts, my alias for video game music is FLUQS. In 2012 I graduated at the Institute of Sonology (contemporary electronic music) at the Royal Conservatory in the Netherlands.

My music has always been about creating intense atmospheres, new worlds and 'tactilities'. Also I like ambiguity a lot, exploring the fields between certain associations. Between environment and composed music; percussion and electronics; controlled complexity and brokenness. No association should be totally fixed.

Next to working with choreographers and performance artists mostly, now want to explore the world of video game music. Really like the idea of working with visual developers, to create new virtual worlds together! Really looking forward.

Here's my portfolio with excerpts of tracks that I think would really fit in: www.soundcloud.com/fluqs

So what do you guys think? What kind of games could use such music, if at all? I stuck to soundscapes mostly, will add a bigger variety later if needed.

Best,

Jim

Advertisement

Really ambient music, such as your own, could work in certain levels or types of gameplay. But most indie devs are going to be looking for music that's a bit more traditional and branded to help make their game(s) stand out more. While I enjoyed what I heard, I'm not sure how much of it could work in games. But then again, I could definitely be proven wrong! Keep making your mark!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thanks for your feedback! Personally, I don't think it's all really ambient on this soundcloud. There's more variety, even though ambient is very broad, for example with tracks like these:

https://soundcloud.com/fluqs/glimp-excerpt

and

https://soundcloud.com/fluqs/gork-excerpt

Looking for more games like Limbo, as I think my soundscape/ambient tracks are pretty much in that realm:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement