beginning directx 11 game programming - The example won't run. I'm using Visual Studio 2015

Started by
27 comments, last by GameDevCoder 7 years, 5 months ago

Hello all. My first post :). It's not of the kind that I wished my first post would be of.

So I'm trying to run the examples from this book. The code won't run though and i'm getting a bunch of errors. Is there something I can do so that the code from this book can run. Shouldn't it run right from the start?

My background on programming is as you might guess it. A beginner really hence me looking up this book.

All I've done to the example is made sure the include and library is pointed to the right location in VC++ directories. This took away a few anomaly's i feel but the code won't run.

I've attached a screenshot of the errors i'm getting.

If anyone might know how I can get the examples running i'd be most grateful. Thank you very much.

Advertisement

It seems your project can't locate Windows.h (it is red underlining).

Create new Win32 project, and compare paths and general settings between your DX project and win32 reference project.

It seems your project can't locate Windows.h (it is red underlining).

Create new Win32 project, and compare paths and general settings between your DX project and win32 reference project.

Thank you. I shall try this as soon as i can get round too. Hopefully i can get the example running today :)

Anymore more suggestions are welcome too of course.

Oh welcome!

So you did find the "include" files in Windows explorer as well, did you? I.e. can you click on let's say windows.h? This isn't really clear from your post, or is the file physically missing?

Can you see if you have the "Windows SDK" installed? It should've been selected when you run the installer,

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/44vq8j/does_visual_studio_2015_update_1_includes_full/

Oh welcome!

So you did find the "include" files in Windows explorer as well, did you? I.e. can you click on let's say windows.h? This isn't really clear from your post, or is the file physically missing?

Can you see if you have the "Windows SDK" installed? It should've been selected when you run the installer,

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/44vq8j/does_visual_studio_2015_update_1_includes_full/

Thank you for the welcome and replying. I haven't got round to anything as been bit occupied today. I will see if I can carryout what has been recommended to me in the posts here. I'll keep people in the loop. Thanks for the post again Dim_Yimma_H :).

Oh welcome!

So when i installed VS'15 as my hard drive space is abit low I didn't do a full install. I would of like to have done but i think it said 40gb was needed and I just don't have that right now unfortunately. Now this evening i went back into them settings through going into the setup and 'modify'. It may appear that I hadn't installed the sdk for my OS (windows 10) so I am installing them now as I write this. We shall see how the code runs after this is complete.

Thanks for pointing this bit out to me. I'll keep this thread updated in the hope I can eventually get this example running. At the time of making the book I think the author used VS'13 also which may have a small part to play in this but we'll see what happens after I have some sdk's installed. I can't believe I missed installing them first time round really as I'm aware they are quite important.

The header (windows.h) file should be located in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\um\ directory.

Btw aren't the Windows Kits included with the OS (independent of Visual Studio)?

🧙

The header (windows.h) file should be located in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\um\ directory.

Btw aren't the Windows Kits included with the OS (independent of Visual Studio)?

thanks for the reply. most helpful

i will be getting to the bottom of this soon today. By evening time i should have carried out what has been advised. Last night i tried installing sdk's from setup modify. MOstw ere installed but it sprouted an error and apparently a computer restart was needed to fix the error message upon installation. Now its a new day my computer has restarted after being off last night. So the installations should go off without a hitch. WiIl keep you lot posted

You can also take a look at the Microsoft tutorials hosted at Github and explained in more depth at MSDN.

The code will be very similar to (but probably more neat and to-the-point than?) the code you are using now.

🧙

You can also take a look at the Microsoft tutorials hosted at Github and explained in more depth at MSDN.

The code will be very similar to (but probably more neat and to-the-point than?) the code you are using now.

Thanks. I've looked at them links and have now a Github account. I was needing to make one and now I've done this. I am familiar with that msdn tutorial actually also. Thanks for the link all the same

I'm about to post a screenshot of what i'm upto regarding my issue still. Will be up soon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement