Vulkan on ubuntu with opengl 4.0?

Started by
1 comment, last by Paul Griffiths 7 years, 3 months ago

Can I use Vulkan on ubuntu with opengl 4.0?

It's all my laptop has :(

Advertisement

For Vulkan it's going to depend on which version of Ubuntu you're using. The version of Mesa shipped on 14.04 LTS is not new enough to contain Intel's Vulkan patches, but the pre-relase development version "Zesty Zapus" has it. The free drivers for AMD and nVidia don't support Vulkan as far as I know, but the latest proprietary binary blob driver for nVidia should be OK as long as your Mesa is new enough. That said, you're going to need an app written with a toolkit new enough to support WSI to get a Vulkan context in the first place, which is unlikely on 14.04 LTS (but posible if you're downloading a game from Steam, for example).

Vulkan does not work with OpenGL, it's a replacement for it. It's not clear what answer you're looking for by including that tidbit.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

For Vulkan it's going to depend on which version of Ubuntu you're using. The version of Mesa shipped on 14.04 LTS is not new enough to contain Intel's Vulkan patches, but the pre-relase development version "Zesty Zapus" has it. The free drivers for AMD and nVidia don't support Vulkan as far as I know, but the latest proprietary binary blob driver for nVidia should be OK as long as your Mesa is new enough. That said, you're going to need an app written with a toolkit new enough to support WSI to get a Vulkan context in the first place, which is unlikely on 14.04 LTS (but posible if you're downloading a game from Steam, for example).

Vulkan does not work with OpenGL, it's a replacement for it. It's not clear what answer you're looking for by including that tidbit.

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement