State of the art fluid simulation of smoke

Started by
4 comments, last by ramirofages 7 years, 2 months ago

Hi! I'm currently writting a dissertation about fluid simulation in real time applications, focusing on the creation of smoke. I was wondering if there are any (recent) games using this kind of approach.

Yesterday Battlefield 1's mustard grenade caught my eye (

here is a random clip that I managed to find) but I can't really tell if they are using some kind of simulation or are just pre rendered images that were carefully crafted and put together for that an amazing effect.

Aside from that I don't think I've seen any other good examples...aside from random experiments that can be found on youtube. So, my question is, are there any recent talks ( GDC, siggraph, anything) about smoke simulation being used in games? I know from papers and articles I've read that a few old games used a simplified version of navier-stokes equation to simulate simple smoke behaviour (http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch30.html this is the first one that comes to my mind), but after that I can't seem to find anything new.

Any information is appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement

I remember a older Batman game with very impressive smoke, maybe it was this:

I guess it works with sparse volume textures, but as they are still NV only they are not used that often.

But i don't like that approach anyways (memory and still limitating to work with blocks of volume).

I'd prefer a hirarchy of particles but can this compete with performance?

For practical stuff in a game engine, go take a look at cryengine, you can grab source, they've got fluid sim stuff in there. But a more interesting approach is to ditch solving Euler equations normally and try getting a deep learning system to approximate them. After all, for a game you just want it to look good and maybe work close enough to do something interesting in the right scenarios, you're not trying to confirm some critical dam engineering design; and the results look pretty good:

Thanks everyone, I'll look into it.

Some games (including ones I've worked on) have used Curl-Noise to procedurally animate particles, as opposed to running a full fluid simulation.

Some games (including ones I've worked on) have used Curl-Noise to procedurally animate particles, as opposed to running a full fluid simulation.

Wow that's really interesting! Thank you

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement