View more

Image of the Day

Isn't this a lovely apple tempart placeholder thing  #gamedev worth a #screenshotsaturday even I would say. https://t.co/fQH1d0ySIG
IOTD | Top Screenshots

The latest, straight to your Inbox.

Subscribe to GameDev.net Direct to receive the latest updates and exclusive content.

Audio Integration into games?

2: Adsense
  • You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 w00ds   Members   

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

Hi all,

I'm Callum, I'm 23 from the UK. I'm a newbie music composer and sound designer. I just finished studying Music Production at BIMM London and have been recently looking in to getting in to the video game industry.

I made a showreel of games that I have reworked to feature my own music and sound as a reference to my capabilities, which I will link at the bottom of this post.

At university I worked with wwise, fmod and unity, and so have some experience integrating music in to games on a basic but functioning level. I was kind of hoping that someone would be able to help me understand how it usually works for the indie game composers.
For example, if I were to agree to do sound for a game tomorrow, what would generally be expected of me? Just the audio side of things and a basic understanding of audio integration or an in depth programming or coding knowledge? Are there any particular programs I would be fully expected to own, or does it completely vary from one project to another?

[Classified wording deleted by moderator]

Thanks, Would love to hear your thoughts.

My Showreel:

Edited by Tom Sloper, 21 February 2017 - 09:50 AM.
Classifieds

#2 Syntac_   Members   

2Likes

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:09 AM

Working with audio middleware tools (Wwise/FMOD) and in-engine experience (Unity/UE4) yeah. Programming, no.

I think it's good to have had experience with Wwise and FMOD while at Uni as these are very popular audio middleware solution for games.

#3 w00ds   Members   

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:15 AM

Thanks for the reply! Pretty much what I had hoped for so that's good to know :) Guess I just need to find some games to improve my Wwise/fmod knowledge with.

#4 Kylotan   Moderators   

1Likes

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:38 AM

There is no standard for how indie companies work; they are understaffed (pretty much by definition) and sometimes they will have someone who is completely proficient with audio integration and sometimes they will not. Sometimes they will be using well-known middleware like FMOD or Wwise, and sometimes they will not. All bets are off.

However, in general:

• you will almost never be expected to code
  • it's likely, but not guaranteed, that you would be familiar with getting your assets imported into game engines like Unity and Unreal and testing them
  • this means that they will expect you to have Unity installed if you want to work on a Unity project, and UE4 if you want to work on a UE4 project
  • it's possible that they might also want you to hook up your assets to in-game events, depending on how they have implemented them (which is mostly just about you being confident with the editor)
  • it's possible that they are happy to just receive a .wav or .mp3 from you and that is all you'll need to do.
  • it's possible that they will want you to use their source control system for submitting assets (e.g. Perforce, Git, Mercurial, Subversion)

#5 Tom Sloper   Moderators   

0Likes

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

For example, if I were to agree to do sound for a game tomorrow, what would generally be expected of me? Just the audio side of things and a basic understanding of audio integration or an in depth programming or coding knowledge? Are there any particular programs I would be fully expected to own, or does it completely vary from one project to another?

Moving thread to the Music And Sound forum.

Edited by Tom Sloper, 21 February 2017 - 09:52 AM.
corrected name of forum

-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.