What engine would you suggest for a 2D isometric game?

Started by
3 comments, last by Dakila 7 years, 1 month ago

I know this has been asked a million times already but things change pretty fast.

I want to code a 2D isometric RTS using C++, currently considering Oxygine and Torque, any word about these? Something else you guys would suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

I hope you realize that C++ is a difficult language, RTS is a difficult type of game, and isometric has its challenges too. You picked a very difficult combination as goal. Your question adds the engine/libraries to that as well, which is together a very full plate of stuff to find your way in.

I don't know the libraries that you mention, nor do I know other game libraries, so I cannot answer your question.

However, given the above, you could find out yourself, and in the process make a bit of room on your plate and get some experience in game programming as well.

What I would like to suggest is that you "test-drive" the library for a few games. Don't bet you big final game on an unknown library recommended by some strangers on the Internet. Instead, first make a few simple games (tetris, space invaders, top-down shooter) with the library. If you want to do an RTS, these games should be doable to say the least. While programming them, you learn how the library works, and whether it makes sense to you. If you write the top-down shooter as second or third game, give each entity its own movements, and you're having some RTS elements in it as well.

Since you are used to C++, may I have the freedom to suggest switching to C# for this particular project?

Honestly, I have close to zero C++ experience.

But many of my friends suggest that they have many similarities.

So, except your game really needs to be in C++, I honestly suggest switching to either Unity Engine or Unreal, whichever you prefer...

... while my personal favorite, especially for 2D project, is Unity.

Just think about it. Think garbage collector. Think foreach loop which is exceptionally useful in games.

Honestly, I have close to zero C++ experience. But many of my friends suggest that they have many similarities.

There are also quite a few fundamental differences between C# and C++. To show one:

MyCppClass c,d;
// some code
c = d; // Assignment copies entire contents of d to c!

Please be careful in considering languages being the same, looks are deceiving!

Just think about it. Think garbage collector. Think foreach loop which is exceptionally useful in games.

I agree a garbage collector is very useful in many cases. However it does have costs as well. Garbage collection runs can happen just about any time. Also, destructor calls become much less predictable. If you have code that needs that predictability, C# doesn't really work well.

In C++11 foreach loops also exist: http://www.cprogramming.com/c++11/c++11-ranged-for-loop.html

// Copied example:
vector<int> vec;
vec.push_back( 10 );
vec.push_back( 20 );

for (int i : vec )
{
    cout << i;
}

Sorry I didn't read fully, deleted whole comment :)

I didn't know there are foreach loops in c++.

And even though I tend to be quick in reading, thus sometimes missing important stuff...

... I am very careful when choosing words, and I never said they are the same.

I just said what other people said to me, and that is that they have lots of similarities.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement