Anno like game - which engine or library?

Started by
3 comments, last by Spool 6 years, 9 months ago

Hi all

I'm a Software developer and always wanted to develop my own game - like propably everybody here. I haven't really spend serious time testing out game development, but I think I'll be able to manage the programming aspect. I'm not an artist, meaning that availability of assets that I don't have to fabricate myself are more then welcome and crucial. ^^

I want to start a little hobby project and develop an Anno like game - I guess everybody is familiar with at least one version of that series. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to start. My first point is: Should it be 2D/isometric (like the good ole days Anno 1602 etc.) or 3D like the more modern versions (Anno 1404 etc.). Deciding that highly depends on the tools, engines, libraries and assets available out there, ideally for free or just small money - again, it'll be a hobby project.

So what do you think? Where do I have a better chance finding (mostly free) assets, 2D/isometric or 3D? Which engine would be good for developing a game like that in 2D or 3D? Has anybody done something like that? Any experience, knowlegde about stepping stones?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Best regards

Tobi

Advertisement

You can use Unity3d or Unreal. Check my video of an isometric like camera in 3D, using unity3d.

Cant say if 2D assets are harder to find that 3D ones, but at least in 3D you have access o nice particle effects.

Excuse my delay. I think that the difficult depends more on the game design or idea, rather than if it is 2d or 3d. But maybe 2d assets are easier to find (I found a pixel artist quite easy for my project a week ago here in the hobby classifieds forum).

Doing this in 3D is going to be far more complex on the programming side of things. As for art wise. It depends. Quality 3D art tends to be hard to find. People dont like to give away their hard work for free. There are probably more 2D assets that will be available, finding many different ones that fit your style or art direction is going to be tough without either paying or getting lucky and finding an aspiring artist who wants to practice and work on a hobby project. You do not need Unity or Unreal to do this. Especially since you have a software development background. There are plenty of graphic frameworks that you can use for any given language. Considering your background of software development I really advise taking this route. Engine UI's and methods of doing things are more difficult to get the hang of than frameworks or libraries. Good luck have fun. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement