Game Idea (survival openworld type )

Started by
2 comments, last by Mats1 7 years ago

Okay so I will make this post as short and sweet as possible.
First off my name is Josh and I am a graphic designer with an idea for a game.
[deleted by moderator]
I personally do not have any idea about creating game i would love to learn about the process howerver that is now why I am here.
[deleted by moderator]

Now that thats out of the way here is a general idea of the game
A survival open world game with crafting taming building fighting and so on ( think ark survival evolved but not and no dinos) that is the just of the game if anyone is interested or has any feedback for me about this post please comment below.

Also as I stated I am a graphic designer someone who does matte painting compositing [deleted by moderator]
Thank you !

Advertisement

No one is going to steal your game ideas. Get that notion out of your head now. Or the risk is so low, that it's not worth the worry. No one serious, with experience enough to do this will sign an NDA. You might have a couple ideas they already had going before you, now they're screwed if they're actually not interested.

A better idea, at this time for you, would be to join up with another project and gain some experience. From the sounds of it, you're looking for a whole team to make your game, for free since the odds of crowd sourcing without a seriously awesome demo are slim. Look at Jupiter Hell, the likes of John Carmack and other industry big wigs donated to it and it barely made it's rather small funding goal. Well, that is just my few pennies worth of thoughts.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Josh, since I deleted the parts of your post where you stated that you were looking for people
to help you make your game, I see that you are looking for feedback on your idea to make
"a survival open world game with crafting taming building fighting and so on." So this thread
can remain here. You can seek teammates in the Hobby Project Classifieds (see the Careers tab,
atop this page).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

To be quite honest, it sounds like you are fairly clueless in regards to the industry as a whole and to game programming and the project idea is extremely vague. I think your best path, if you are very serious about making a game and have a lot of confidence that your idea is unique and/or good enough to make a successful game, is to learn something about game programming yourself. Get the skillset to at least implement some of the game on your own and then get your friends and family to try it out to see if the idea has any traction what-so-ever. If the views are positive (make sure they are being damn honest, you don't need friends and family to be "yes-men"), then think about getting a team together for the project.

If you are dedicated and confident in your idea, you could get the skillset together to start developing a game in 6-12 months. Ark survival is a massive game and would require a large team and a lot of time. I recommend you start from the bottom (pong, breakout, connect 4 etc...) on your own and obtain at least some of the skills required for such a game. At this point, you will learn a lot about game programming both in practice and in terms of what can make a successful game or not.

All too often, posts like this appear here and elsewhere and lead to nothing, because the projects are too ambitious and/or the person who wants to make the project is not willing to put in the appropriate work and/or is not skilled enough to begin with.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement