View more

Image of the Day

Adding some finishing touches...
Follow us for more
#screenshotsaturday #indiedev... by #MakeGoodGames https://t.co/Otbwywbm3a
IOTD | Top Screenshots

The latest, straight to your Inbox.

Subscribe to GameDev.net Direct to receive the latest updates and exclusive content.

Adventures in Texting - Sign up thread

4: Adsense
  • You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheComet   Members   

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

It is time for fun.

We will embark on an adventure together, where we all collaboratively work on a text adventure game. The setup is simple: We begin with a minimal "framework" written in the C++ language. Code is then added incrementally according to the following rules.

The Schedule

Access to the repository is opened on Friday, 17-04-21 14:00 UTC.
Access to the repository is closed on Sunday, 17-04-23 14:00 UTC.
You may sign up at any time starting now by posting in this thread or contacting me on Discord. Please give me your github username!

The Rules

• Language constraints
    • The code you submit must be well-defined and compile and run without causing abnormal program termination (such as segfaults, calls to abort() or exit(), etc.)
    • The program must have the ability to terminate normally after a finite amount of time. Inserting infinite loops is not allowed.
    • Your code must comply with the C++11 standard. You may not use compiler specific extensions, platform specific calls (e.g. winAPI or posix calls) or external dependencies (other than the C/C++ standard library).
    • You may not use preprocessor directives, with the exception of rule 5.
    • You may define constants, e.g. #define PLAYER_STATE 5. More complex macros are not allowed (such as macros that accept arguments).
    • You may not use goto.
    • All code must be contained in a single source file. In other words, you may not create additional source or header files.
  • Submitting code
    • You may modify/insert at most 5 lines at a time. Deleting existing lines is forbidden! You can only insert!
    • The maximum line length allowed is 512 characters (excluding the newline).
    • You may only submit code if the previous submitter is not you, or if 30 minutes have past since the last commit.
    • Code containing illegal information or information that would get you banned from GDNet is forbidden.

If you submit code that violates any of these rules, your access will be suspended for 2+ hours.

The Code

We will synchronise our code using github: https://github.com/gamedev-net/AdventuresInTexting

People signed up:

1. TheComet (TheComet93)
  2. iedoc (cloudis31)
  3. Alpheus (canfucius)
  4. Naz (Ruuubb)
  5. IYP (IYP-Programer-Yeah)
  6. CulDeVu (CulDeVu)
  7. Nitewalkr (Nitewa1kr)
  8. Washu (WashuHakubi)
  9. blueshogun96 (blueshogun96)
  10. Alpheus (canfucius)
  11. MarkyPooch (markypooch)
  12. martin (MartinGrant)

The rules aren't yet set in stone, we can discuss and make changes to them until Friday if necessary.

Edited by TheComet, 22 April 2017 - 11:08 AM.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

#2 iedoc   GDNet+   

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:59 AM

Count me in

My github username is: cloudis31

Edited by iedoc, 19 April 2017 - 09:25 AM.

Braynzar Soft - DirectX Lessons & Game Programming Resources!

#3 Alpheus   GDNet+   

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

I'm in like Flinn.

First line of code:

return 0;

External Articulation of Concepts Materializes Innate Knowledge of One's Craft and Science

Beginner in Game Development? Read here. And read here.

Super Mario Bros clone tutorial written in XNA 4.0 [MonoGame, ANX, and MonoXNA] by Scott Haley

If you have found any of the posts helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking the up arrow on those posts Posted Image

Spoiler

#4 NLScotty   Members   

Posted 19 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

Naz

#5 Khatharr   Members   

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

I am Khatharr.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

#6 Nitewalkr   Members   

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

I am Groot

#7 martingrant   Members   

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:30 AM

I'll join this :)

#8 SeraphLance   Members   

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

Technically, wouldn't replacing a line with ";" count as "modifying"?  Yeah yeah, spirit vs. the letter and all that.

Anyway, I'm in:  SeraphLance

#9 TheComet   Members   

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:53 AM

It begins!

Note that one rule has been changed: You are now allowed to modify existing lines as well as insert new lines.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

#10 newtechnology   Members   

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:55 AM

Over already? This would be more interesting if it was a 3D game. Maybe next time.

Edited by newtechnology, 23 April 2017 - 07:55 AM.

#11 SeraphLance   Members   

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

Over already? This would be more interesting if it was a 3D game. Maybe next time.

I cracked a joke about netcode in the chat and everyone looked like a deer in headlights (for good reason).  I think a text adventure is as good as you can manage with this kind of chaos.

#12 JTippetts   Moderators   

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

Someone should do a sort of stream-of-consciousness textual narration of the whole event, start to finish, based on commit logs and chat history. It was actually quite entertaining to watch and to see the organic process of prototyping and refactoring that went on. The small changes rule meant that more complex systems had to evolve incrementally, and to me that actually presents a nice view of incremental refactoring that can be useful to just about anyone.

It was fun to grab the source occasionally and build it as you guys worked on it. 

#13 Khawk   Senior Staff   

Posted 23 April 2017 - 11:03 PM

Since it's over, I did a few things:
  1. Removed write permissions to collaborators, but PRs could be submitted
  2. TheComet is still setup as an admin for the repo, but that can change as needed
  3. Added a "v48hours" tag to denote the code state after the initial 48 hours of collaboration

I thought this was really cool and hope to see more of it in the future. I also echo JTippetts thoughts on the design evolution, and the LOC constraint was really tough for my own contributions.

We will embark on an adventure together, where we all collaboratively work on a text adventure game. 

Also, thank you to TheComet for organizing and congrats on the reputation bump.

Edited by Khawk, 23 April 2017 - 11:03 PM.