It is time for fun.
We will embark on an adventure together, where we all collaboratively work on a text adventure game. The setup is simple: We begin with a minimal "framework" written in the C++ language. Code is then added incrementally according to the following rules.
Access to the repository is opened on Friday, 17-04-21 14:00 UTC.
Access to the repository is closed on Sunday, 17-04-23 14:00 UTC.
You may sign up at any time starting now by posting in this thread or contacting me on Discord. Please give me your github username!
- Language constraints
- The code you submit must be well-defined and compile and run without causing abnormal program termination (such as segfaults, calls to abort() or exit(), etc.)
- The program must have the ability to terminate normally after a finite amount of time. Inserting infinite loops is not allowed.
- Your code must comply with the C++11 standard. You may not use compiler specific extensions, platform specific calls (e.g. winAPI or posix calls) or external dependencies (other than the C/C++ standard library).
- You may not use preprocessor directives, with the exception of rule 5.
- You may define constants, e.g. #define PLAYER_STATE 5. More complex macros are not allowed (such as macros that accept arguments).
- You may not use goto.
- All code must be contained in a single source file. In other words, you may not create additional source or header files.
- Submitting code
- You may modify/insert at most 5 lines at a time. Deleting existing lines is forbidden! You can only insert!
- The maximum line length allowed is 512 characters (excluding the newline).
- You may only submit code if the previous submitter is not you, or if 30 minutes have past since the last commit.
- Code containing illegal information or information that would get you banned from GDNet is forbidden.
If you submit code that violates any of these rules, your access will be suspended for 2+ hours.
We will synchronise our code using github: https://github.com/gamedev-net/AdventuresInTexting
Sign up in this thread now by submitting to me your github username.
People signed up:
- TheComet (TheComet93)
- iedoc (cloudis31)
- Alpheus (canfucius)
- Naz (Ruuubb)
- IYP (IYP-Programer-Yeah)
- CulDeVu (CulDeVu)
- Nitewalkr (Nitewa1kr)
- Washu (WashuHakubi)
- blueshogun96 (blueshogun96)
- Alpheus (canfucius)
- MarkyPooch (markypooch)
- martin (MartinGrant)
The rules aren't yet set in stone, we can discuss and make changes to them until Friday if necessary.
Edited by TheComet, 22 April 2017 - 11:08 AM.