- Half size the spritesheet on load and upsize at rendering (ugly blocky)
- Half size the spritesheet and half the game resolution (very involved to support 2 version of the game, but would better support different screen sizes?)
- Use some shader jiggery pokery to get around the limit
I'm currently thinking along the lines of 3, something like :
- Binding 2 halves of the spritesheet to active texture 0 and 1 (each 2048 x 2048)
- Pass the uv coords in pixel space
- In the fragment shader, if the u coord >= 2048, then -2048 and sample from texture 1 (and vice versa).