easiest & fastest console to make games on

Started by
7 comments, last by Warsong 22 years, 2 months ago
Wich console (x-box,ps2,game cube) is the easiest & fastest for developers to make games on?
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
Advertisement
X-BOx

it is more the same of a computer, you don''t have to learn anything new (if unless you are new to game dev). There are a couple of things different with X-Box, but most are the same and it uses direct x so it would be faster and easier.
i would have to say dreamcast for a hobbyists. i am unsure how easily you can get xbox to run homebrewn software, but it fairly easy to get dreamcast to run stuff. in fact there was an article right here on gamedev about that
the Gamecube are apparently very popular with developes too! Apparently, its even easier to develop on the Gamecube than the XBox.
I think the PS2 is the hardest to develope because it takes time to use the emotion chip and other features to its fullest potential.
too bad indrema died...
i would look into some of the older consoles... saturn, 3DO, psONE ,etc... less Hardware blocks and better code base in existance.
maybe anything but X-Box please
If you have a Windows, DirectX based engine/game up and running, the Xbox will be the easiest to do a port to. However to make the most out of its hardware you have to start using specific features which aren''t available on any PC hardware (or exposed through the PC version of DirectX - they aren''t exactly the same!)

If you don''t already have something up and running on a PC, the GameCube has the simplest architecture to develop on. Its API is very simple and at a very high level.

To the AP, the older consoles are actually harder to develop on than the newer ones.
Firstly since their CPUs and graphics hardware is less fully featured, you have to do much more work yourself to get even the simplest things up and running. Secondly, since they''re old, people expect to see things which are at a level with the latest titles for the platform which use the most tricks to get every last drop out.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

well the guy who made the FF seris from squaresoft japan said that "it is much easyer to make games on the nintendo gamecube then ps2." but he never said anything about x-box.
If you''re not specifically focused on the next-gen systems (PS2, Gamecube, Xbox), I''d say the absolute easiest console to develop for is the TI-XX calculator (if you consider it a console). If that''s too primative for you (it sure as heck is for me), Gameboy probably comes in 2nd place. C-like coding structure. Easy to use graphics. Actually, this is just for gameboy roms. I don''t know if the actual gameboy programming is any different, but I literally learned the gameboy programming language and made pong for the emulator in about an hour. I wish all programming was that easy.
I agree with THE Omega. The Gameboy is simple to program. Even some of the advanced topic, such as bank-switching, terribly difficult.
If you missed a great moment in history don't worry, it'll repeat itself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement