Technical Artist, needs advice!

Started by
1 comment, last by Anam Nantom 22 years, 2 months ago
Hello, I am an artist and have been one since my kindergarten years. I also have this burning obsession with playing with code. Not to mention writing, AND music and sound effects creation. In other words, I love and do it all. I spoke once with someone from BioWare about what an artist who can program would be called and he said.. a Technical Artist. He gave me some very good advice about breaking into the gaming industry, and I was just looking for more advice on getting the attention of a game dev company. I am working on my associates degrees in Programming and Networking to get a fairly broad base as far as the technical side goes. Most of what I have learned is on my own. I do have galleries on the web and can show off my talents on notice. Should I continue forth and get a four year education, or should I push my resume online as I have been doing? I''d love to hear from you that are in the field now, thank you! Anam Nantom Gamer/Programmer/Artist/Writer
Anam NantomGamer/Programmer/Artist/Writer
Advertisement
This goes completely against what I was told, and I''m in the same situation I had a conversation with Thom Gillespie a few weeks back, and basically he said that there really is not room for "Jack of all Trades" in the industry. Companies hire to do a job as well as possible, and being "good" at multiple things doesn''t help. One has to be incredibly good at one thing, that is what gets you a job.

Of course, this is for very large companies. I''m sure its different for smaller game companies.
- T. Wade Murphy
However, being great at one thing AND good at several others will give you a benefit over those who are just great at one thing. As when deadlines approach, they might find that they need a little extra help in a certain area, and your versatility could save the day.

Doing it all is valuable, but make sure you are good enough to do at least one of those things ''properly''.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement