DirectPlay Overhead

Started by
3 comments, last by JonShute 24 years, 1 month ago
I know it is conventional wisdom that DirectPlay adds overhead to the connection but I was wondering if anybody had actually verified this? Does anybody know of any hard data to support this? The reason I''m asking is that I am about to evaluate DirectPlay for a project and I don''t want to reinvent the wheel if I can''t help it.
Advertisement
Running a simple chat program (64 bytes of data sent per packet) in a basic sockets implementation versus a directplay implementation, directplay showed a 6-10% network bandwidth overhead according to a packet sniffer. This was run over seven trials, hence the variable overhead number. To make it a more real trial we used a subnet where five guys were playing Quake2, but there was no other traffic.
SiCrane in your tests did you turn off the DirectPlay IDTag and automatic messaging features? I cannot think of any reason why there would be that much overhead if you turn off the extra features.

Eagerly awaiting your response,

Nick V. Caldwell
MIT c\o ''03
nvc@mit.edu
Nick V. CaldwellMIT co ''03nvc@mit.edu
Here are the flags used:

IDirectPlay::Send was called as unsigned, unencrypted but guaranteed.
IDirectPlay::Receive was called with no flags.

DPSESSIONDESC2 structure was create with DPSESSION_CLIENTSERVER, DPSESSION_NODATAMESSAGES, DPSESSION_NOMESSAGEID.

The chat program was run with 10 clients. Each client ran a script that sent 1000 lines of text and joined/left 10 times. Each client computer ran the same script in both DPlay and Winsock. However each client computer ran a different script.
I think I feel a detailed investigation coming on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement