rendering @ rare resolutions

Started by
7 comments, last by rAw 21 years, 11 months ago
hi! i''m trying to render my opengl stuff at 2048x1107 (movie format) ... my geforce is able to show res. that big ,but my monitor fails to do it ... so i have a tough problem to solve ... i''ve heard about rendering in open gl without showing the framebuffer ,but i don''t know how to implement this technique... i could also render each frame in 2 passes (2*1024x1107), and then combine them togheter , but i don''t know how to force opengl to translate screen coords. by (1024,0) ... something with perspective_projection maybe? i''m begging for help...
Advertisement
You could try rendering to texture using the WGL_NV_render_texture_rectangle extension.

-Lev
Set up a pbuffer, and render to that. To display it on screen, bind it as a texture and draw it to a quad that covers the screen.

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
big thx!
hmm... i''ve checked out opengl extensions ,and unfortunatly neither WGL_ARG_pbuffer nor WGL_NV_render_texture_rectangle are available

i''ve got geforce ddr @ nvidia ref. drivers ver.29.11 , so the driver change won''t help... guys from nvidia said that these extensions are "Available on all NVIDIA products since GeForce
(requires 28.40 driver)" ...

hmm so it means that my gfx hardware is not from nvidia , weird

i''m gonna try to switch gfx to gf2mx400 , but i don''t think it gonna help ...

is there any walkaround method to this problem?

Hi

Firstly, your card DOES support both those extensions. Check out glInfo at www.delphi3d.net

But are you sure your card/monitor can handle the screen res you are after? Thats an unusual res to show.

I suspect that if your monitor supports 2048 pixels wide, then the actual screen res is 2048x1536 (off the top of my head), with a clipping region set to only display 1107 pixels high.

Use 2048x1536, and use the glScissor function to limit drawing to the area you want.

Regards

um... yes, my mistake, my hardcore written =) code was checking extensions from glgetstring table , and these from wglGetExtensionsStringARB were not checked...

my monitor does not supports 2048x1536 resolution and that''s the whole problem , to get such big frames i have to render them "off-line" , in p-buffer

by saying 2048x1107 i meant 2048x1536 with 2 black strips at the top and bottom of the screen...

anyway , thank for help

Just out of interest ... what are you trying to do if your monitor can''t display it? Render back to a texture?
i''m creating opengl presentation which will be projected on a big screen. so i don''t need to see the frame , after processing an avi file is created, and so on...

regards

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement