Count Your Code

Started by
23 comments, last by vallis 24 years, 1 month ago
I just knocked up a little program to count how many lines of code there are in a project. Dunno if anyone else would like to play with it or would find it useful but you can get it here if you want it. http://members.xoom.com/blvallis/CodeCounter/CodeCounter.zip If you do use it mail me or leave a message here so I can feel all warm and fuzzy inside
Advertisement
Hey, I''m using it! That''s pretty cool, man! hehe.. I wish I could code as good as you! :p

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Consider me flattered
I haven''t tried it yet, but I''d like to because some friends at school always asks me how many lines of code I have written, I personally think that''s pure crap because there''s no way the amount of code can express how good/bad your code is (well, maybe in extreme cases).

Can you make it count Visual Basic source files too, if it''s not too much to ask?

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Also, the number of lines doesn''t even accurately depict how much code there is, since some people write condensed code where many lines are long, whereas others write code spread among many lines, with a lot of white space and comments, and function parameters each on their own line.

But it seems like a useful utility anyway.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Its true, lines of code are no indicator of skill or amount of work. However it is a ''fun'' way to indicate the progress of a project etc

Spiff - I think that might be a bit difficult because the VB files contain more than source code. I could count the lines in .mod files easy enough but .frm files would take a bit of parsing.

If anybody else wants a VB edition though, post here and Ill do it
Yeah - I decided i''ll do the VB version tonight. Tell me if im missing anything here:

* Im gonna add a combo box to select C++ or VB mode.
* Im gonna read in the amount of lines in .mod files
* Im gonna read in the amount of lines in .frm files *after* the form declaration section.

Am I missing anything here or is that all?
Yep, .cls files too (classes). I''m not really sure if there are any other file types for VB cuz I''m at work now and I can''t check it, but I can do it tonite.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Don''t forget .bas files.

Lack

Christianity, creationism, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Cool - thanks everyone.

If someone could post a full list of extensions then i'll get to work on it...

I take it .bas is the extension for VB modules (not .mod as I thought)

Is there any other programs that I could support as well - may as well make the program complete if i'm gonna do it

I'll probably add assembler .asm support as well

PS - What are peoples thoughts on using multiple directories in their source tree...does anyone use more than one directory to store their source, and therefore should I add functionality for this??

Edited by - vallis on 3/10/00 5:30:18 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement