DevIL & Dev-C++

Started by
51 comments, last by guppy 21 years, 3 months ago
I decided to use DevIL (formerly known as OpenIL) for my projekt - how ever DevIL and Dev-C++ (using MingW) does not work well together. After some time I realised that there were no .a files - so using pexports & dlltool I made some new ones. Now the compiler is happy, but the linker gives me the following error: "e:\dev-c++\misc_tests\deviltest.o(.text+0xc):deviltest.cpp: undefined reference to `_imp__ilInit''" This is the program im trying to compile ( I know it ill do notting - it''s just at test to iliminate the rest of my code as the source of the error)

#include <windows.h>
#include <gl\gl.h>
#include <gl\glu.h>
#include <il\il.h>

int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
    ilInit();
   return 0;
}

and I use the following extra linking options "-lil -lopengl32 -lglu32" it would seem that despite my eforts with the new .a files that my compiler still cant find the code it needs... Have any one made the combination of DevIL and Dev-C++ work?? and if so HOW? any help is apriciated .... ps. yes I was / am considering compiling from the sources BUT it requires a HUGE amount of other libs to compile... /Please excuse my bad spelling - My native language is binary not english |Visit me \Take my advice - I don''''t use it...
/Please excuse my bad spelling - My native language is binary not english|Visit meTake my advice - I don''t use it...
Advertisement
Are you linking DevIL libs?
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
quote:
and I use the following extra linking options "-lil -lopengl32 -lglu32"

the '-lil' part means link to the lib libil.a , so unless im missing somthing id have to say yes...

[edit]
Deleted all the .dll, .lib, .def and .a files and the error is still the same so the error must be that Dev-C++ can't find the propper file... why/how? any one?
[/edit]

/Please excuse my bad spelling - My native language is binary not english
|Visit me
\Take my advice - I don''t use it...

[edited by - guppy on June 16, 2002 4:24:17 PM]
/Please excuse my bad spelling - My native language is binary not english|Visit meTake my advice - I don''t use it...
Forgive me if this post is completely useless, since I have no experience with DevIL or Dev-C++, but try adding -ldevil and make sure devil.lib is somewhere where Dev-C++ can find it.
[ups... dubble post due to IE crash]

[edited by - guppy on June 16, 2002 4:52:08 PM]
-ldevil would look for a file called libdevil.a wich I don''t have...

the problem is that i got MSVC++ .lib files wich are useless for Dev-C++

Is there any one who was a working set of .a files they can send me?

/Please excuse my bad spelling - My native language is binary not english
|Visit me
\Take my advice - I don''''t use it...
quote:Original post by guppy
After some time I realised that there were no .a files
and I use the following extra linking options "-lil -lopengl32 -lglu32"

it would seem that despite my eforts with the new .a files that my compiler still cant find the code it needs...
and if so HOW? any help is apriciated ....

If DevIL comes with a DLL, there''s no need to generate .a files. MinGW will accept .lib files as well.

BTW, I hope that DevIL is a C library and not a C++ one...
It's C allright but it does come with a cpp wrapper...

if you can use .lib files (I higly doubt it, if you can) how do you tell mingw to link to them?

(the '-l(libname)' switch always searches for 'lib(libname).a')

[edit]
just replaced > with ( to avoid confusing the browser
[/edit]

[edited by - guppy on June 16, 2002 5:36:32 PM]
If you have something equivalent to Borland''s implib, you can generate library modules for dlls with that tool.
Re-read my initial post

I did just that - but the resulting files don''t work

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement