Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Facebook anyone?

Started by Instigator Sep 12, 2007 at 12:45 AM 28 replies 3.7k views
Original Post
Instigator
Instigator
Just curious to if anyone here uses Facebook. I wasn't to crazy about it when people first told me about it, a year ago. But now (after signing up on Saturday) I'm an addict. I'm 19 years old and just met people I haven't seen since I was 10 years old. Its kind of strange in one way but on the other hand its nice knowing where all your classmates ended up in life. Jeez.. my Dad and mom even use facebook now. ITS BIGGG!!!
ToohrVyk
ToohrVyk
Yep. I've been for a while now.

(In case anyone wants to add me as a friend, don't forget to mention GameDev.net, and your credit card number [smile])
boolean
boolean
I still don't get what that site is for. Heaps of guys at work use it too, they are always talking about it at lunch. Is it just another version of MySpace? Even after reading Wikipedia I still don't get it.
evolutional
evolutional
It's Myspace v2, Live Journal v3, Xoon v4
jbadams
jbadams
Quote:
Original post by boolean
I still don't get what that site is for. Heaps of guys at work use it too, they are always talking about it at lunch. Is it just another version of MySpace? Even after reading Wikipedia I still don't get it.
It's like if MySpace weren't such a horrible mess of design flaws. Still not perfect, but one of the better sites of the type that I'm aware of.

Oh, and I'm also one there, mention GDNet if you feel like adding me or I might knock it back if I don't recognise the name.
- Jason Astle-Adams
Promit
Promit
I walk away for a few months and the group accumulates 64 members? Jeez, when I created it, I didn't realize it would actually catch on.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Zipster
Zipster
Hmm I don't think I have enough confidence to let my other friends know I'm in the GameDev group, they might think I'm a computer nerd or something [wink]
guywithknife
guywithknife
I'm on there too, but I'm not cool enough to match my gamedev account to my real name.. I guess it wouldn't exactly be difficult for people to do though .
MrEvil
MrEvil
I sort of sidled into the group when nobody was looking. I'd say Facebook's OK if you ignore the silly application requests. Not being able to customise your page colour scheme is nice, it means I can actually read other people's profiles.
superpig
superpig
I'm on there too. Feel free to add me, but make sure you mention GDNet or I will not accept your friend request. [smile]

Facebook was good until they launched this whole application platform thing. It had consistency of style across pages - you could browse without having your eyes suddenly seared by a blinding mass of pink text on a red background, and people were forced to express themselves through content rather than through "artistic layouts" (generated by one of a hundred generic online layout generating tools...)

Now it's become a bit of a mess. There is still at least some consistency in style, but everyone's covered their pages in craploads of applications. The thing that annoys me the most is that for any given thing you've got five competing applications that provide it, and as your friends inevitably end up split across all five you have no option but to add all of them in order to participate. It would be a lot nicer if Facebook exercised more control over who actually /published/ to the platform, as they could then force developers to work together on apps instead of producing a hundred identical little "you have been bitten by a vampire!" viral shits.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
nilkn
nilkn
I couldn't have said it better, superpig. Still, the application frenzy plaguing Facebook is much better than the hellish HTML screw-ups that most MySpace pages are.
Ravuya
Ravuya
Quote:
Original post by Promit
I walk away for a few months and the group accumulates 64 members? Jeez, when I created it, I didn't realize it would actually catch on.
That's sort of what happened with the GameDev GGE and YouTube groups.

Unfortunately the YouTube group hasn't taken off as fast.
dashurc
dashurc
I'm on facebook, but I don't really use it much. Maybe once every couple weeks just to check up.

Speaking of which, I should probably check it soon. Been a while.
xanin
xanin
I don't have a Facebook account (at least, if I do, I've never used it), but I do have a LinkedIn account.
Naurava kulkuri
Naurava kulkuri
It feels like there's some new social networking site all the time everyone wants to join into. I just also got invited to Facebook. I also got an invitation to Campux (I find Campux really has a better user interface and functionality, provided by Plone). My Brazilian friends are also asking me to join to Orkut. A site that literally means "orgasms" in Finnish. [grin]

Then there are LinkedIn and Xing and... Who has the time? I wonder if I could just link to my real homepage and manage them all with just one interface... [smile]
---Sudet ulvovat - karavaani kulkee
Colin Jeanne
Colin Jeanne
I'm on Facebook.... and now I'm in the GDNet group.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.