OpenAL : alGenSources() problem

Started by
10 comments, last by weasalmongler 21 years, 9 months ago
Hi. I know that most people don''t use OpenAL but I''m hoping some people may know the problem that I am having. Please don''t say "Use FMOD", I''m trying to learn a range of API''s to find out what I like best before sticking to one. I''m making a game where I want a different sound source for each unit, so that it can make noises that originate from the unit. Problem is, I have about 40 units, each containing its own sounds, and each time I load a sound I generate a new source and attach the sound buffer to it. The first few sources are generated fine, but after I have generated a few, it stops generating them, and I get errors. Is there a limit to the number of sources that I can create or something? Thanks for any help. - Weasalmongler
Advertisement
What error(s) do you get back from alGetError? This doesn''t sound normal. I''m digging through the OpenAL source code looking for a cause, but it''s difficult without knowing exactly what error message I''m looking for.

alGenSources(1, &temp->source)

returns : "Invalid Value" as a "alGetError()" message.

- Weasalmongler

[EDIT : Then I get an "Invalid Name" error when binding the buffer to the source, but that is obviously because alGenSources fails and "temp->source" is invalid]

[edited by - weasalmongler on July 3, 2002 5:14:57 AM]
Well, I wasn''t finding any potential issues in the source code, then I figured you''re probably using Windows, so I should look in the Windows OpenAL source code . Here''s what I found:
AL_INVALID_VALUE can be flagged:
  • If you request more than are available through whatever internal device OpenAL is using (this check isn''t needed in the Linux code, so I didn''t see it). This is probably your problem.
  • If there''s an internal out of memory error (I''m not sure why they''d do INVALID_VALUE for this?).

I didn''t know there was a maximum number of sources until I looked into this . Here''s what I''ve found out: The maximum number of sources is apparently limited to 32 in Windows (only) because of some limit with DirectX 8. Look in openal/win/Alc/ALc.c to get a better understanding of this (search for "MaxNoOfSources", you''ll see what I mean). I may have to contact the developers in inquery about this issue, actually...

• Actually weasalmongler, i have exactly the same problem as you do.., but i generate about 15/20 sounds.
    I tought the problem was mine, but now i see the problem is OpenAL itselft.,
    Null And Void, if a card as for example 8 hardware channels, does this means we will only be able to generate 8 sources ?
    Isn''t OpenAL able to use Software mode when there''s no more hardware channels available ?
    Thanks,

Bruno
    Oh well, unless anyone knows a way around this then I''ll look into FMOD.
    Anyone know a way around it that they are willing to share?

- Weasalmongler
    Actually, you will have the same problem with FMOD
    After some samples, he won''t load them anymore.
    I''m not sure how to handle this....,
    Anyone has any ideias ?

Bruno
    Bruno, look at the source code that I referenced above if you want the ''whole story''. Basically, this is what it does:
  • If you select DirectSound3D for the device:

• If DirectSound3D supports more than 31 sources, OpenAL assumes it''s lying and clamps it to 31.
    • If DirectSound3D supports less than or equal to 15 sources, OpenAL falls back on software mode, but allows you to use 16 devices.

• If you select DirectSound, you automatically get 32 sources.
  • If you select WaveOut, you automatically get 32 sources.

I think this is a serious annoyance, and today I''ll try to look into the reasoning behind this further (mainly because the ports of OpenAL don''t have this issue, as far as I can tell).

• Hey NULL, do you have something to do with the ports to windows ? This problem is non-existent in Linux ?
    Are you on the OpenAL team ?

quote:Original post by Bruno
    Hey NULL, do you have something to do with the ports to windows?

Nope.
    This problem is non-existent in Linux ?

There is no check in the allocation of sources in Linux, but I haven''t actually ''stress tested'' the implementation. So, as far as I know, this problem is non-existent in Linux. I''m working on getting the official state of this issue (i.e. no plans to fix it, what OS''s it affects, et cetera).
    Are you on the OpenAL team?

Nope.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement