DX9 tomorrow ?

Started by
35 comments, last by serg 21 years, 5 months ago
Well, that is the rumor...
Advertisement
Rumours can sometimes be wrong

It''ll be released when no more major bugs are found.

I think you''ll see *something* tomorrow, but it won''t be what you''re expecting

I can''t say any more without violating the NDA of course.

1-strikes-500

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Simon is right - something was released, but it wasn''t THE release everybody has been waiting for.
heh.. I know i''ll find out sooner or later, but is it bigger than the dx9 runtime? I hope so.. :|

¬_¬
It''s only an SDK release for beta testers.
it will come when it is finished. By the way, why are everyone so expecting of this release? It really won''t improve anything unless you have a dx9 compatible card like radeon 9700/9500 and then only if the software use it. A new version of Dx won''t improve overall performance. You can just as well use dx8 as you can dx9 when it comes. There won''t be that much difference. Games won''t be using the new functionalities until a year from now at least.
i do have a radeon9700pro, and i wait for dx9 since the card is out. /me wanna code some stuff...

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Typical for anonzmous cowards - to post trash.

A lot of people will gain from Dx9:

(a) Managed interface, means some people can start coding in C# or VB.NET - that is something that is wanted, and that is not dependant of the graphics card.
(b) better performance - a lot of things are optimised in Dx9, such as render to texture :-)
(c) more capabilities - once Dx9 drivers are out (like from ATI, or the newer NVidia drivers) zou may find out that even older cards supported some stuff that - was never usable as not being exposed bz the DIrectX API (such as occlusion queries). This is esposed now, and new drivers will expose this even on older hardware.

Well, there is a reason anonzmous cowards dont use their account - their info is too often wrong.

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
quote:Original post by thona
Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

finally we will stop have to listen to you, thona, and instead be able to _SEE_ that dx9 is so amazing in c#, we _SEE_ that all you babled around during the last time is true.. hehe. well i can''t wait for that moment:D

render to texture got faster? cool!.

finally stop with that NDA, right?:D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Also, remember that there''s more to DirectX9 than DXGraphics. Going on the powerpoint slides from Meltdown 2001 (I''m not on the beta ) it looks like DirectInput is going to get a lot easier to use. Callback enumeration functions are one their way out at last! Also, Get/SetProperty and all those DIPROP structures are being replaced with individual methods for each property.

Of course, that might have changed since 2001 and I wouldn''t know because of the NDA on the beta...

Not particularly exciting for end users, but at least it''s something developers can take advantage of as soon as the SDK is released.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement