Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

New Mac G5s

Started by Sakuranbo Jun 23, 2003 at 2:43 PM 30 replies 2.2k views
Original Post
Sakuranbo
Sakuranbo
Anyone watch the keynote feed? What do you think? Beating the dual Xeons at every SPEC score was pretty damn impressive, and the Mac is actually cheaper...
CobraMantis
CobraMantis
Oh...my...Holy...
Just...
...*Drools*...

Raymondo
Raymondo
Macs are teh suck.
DakeDesu
DakeDesu
quote:
Original post by Raymondo
Macs are teh suck.


Such a compelling argument. You sir, should try politics!

-=-
"Boy? Girl? It does not matter, all that matters is power, and beauty is power. I am beautiful, so I have power and that is all that matters."
Got Immortality?
Dustino
Dustino
Please lets not get into the war of PC vs Mac. It will never end. The G5''s are impressive even more so if the new PPC processors in them are 64bit (as they are expected to be based off IBM''s new 64bit PPC chip). Dual 2Ghz G5 with a nice 23inch HighDef LCD Monitor from Apple would be great. But the price for both the system and monitor would probably be around $5000. The BMW of PC''s
Ravuya
Ravuya
Low-end G5 ($2400) is cheaper than the medium-end gaming PC I bought 3 years ago ($2500). Not bad. Too bad they left the G3 owners out to dry on the OS v10.3 update.

Resist everyone
Talk on RavForum(tm)
Raymondo
Raymondo
quote:
Original post by DakeDesu
Such a compelling argument. You sir, should try politics!




Why thank you.

Sakuranbo
Sakuranbo
Ah, sorry about that. I didn''t expect a Mac thread to show up in Everything Unix.
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
I''m not chastising; I''m inviting people to read both threads and gain a broader perspective on the issue as they have slightly different approaches. Notice that I said "cross-pollination" rather than "cross posting", indicative or my attempt to "breed" both discussions together in a way.

In fact, I think it should be possible for a single thread to show up in two or more forums when it straddles the concerns of the forums in question.
Interim
Interim
It''s hard to discuss Apple these days without bringing up Unix. Hell, the Open Group is suing Apple for trademark violations using the Unix name =).

Apple has been wrapping their tentacles all throughout the Unix community. FreeBSD (Darwin), Safari (Camino?), X11Beta, ObjC & PowerPC GCC improvements, Apache as their web server, SAMBA,...all so wrapped in the Unix community its impressive.


Int
Witchcraven
Witchcraven
I am so glad the "G5" is out. Finally, hardware to match the glory of OS X.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Russell
Russell
Every forum I have read (besides this one) talks about how the SPEC numbers are VERY misleading (bordering upon fraud). Anyone that I know who has an opinion about hardware that I value said they''d take a dual xeon or dual opteron over the dual g5 (people who know every little nuance of a cpu, like why a 1.3GHz centrino is about as fast as a Athlon 2GHz, people who know how to take an Athlon XP and physically modify it into an MP, people that read every cpu manual in existence, for fun, more than once...etc.).

It seems that there aren''t any of those people here.
Witchcraven
Witchcraven
Maybe they just dislike apple. There are reasons why IBM uses the power4 for mainframes. Why dont you read the 970 spec yourself. It is quite impressive. The opteron may actually be a little faster, but its not a desktop processor, dual systems are even more expensive that the apple, and it cant run OS X.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
flangazor
flangazor
I absolutely love Apple's marketing department. Its their entire company. That and their graphics department. If only Lunicks or BeOS had access to some of their talented professionals...

When you watch the video, note how all the Apple execs have tennis shirts showing what cool down to earth people they are. Then they get IBM's help with the chip. Cue suited to the very most IBM exec. ooh, IBM is a friend of Apple, but still carries an image of stiff and very corporate. They even call them "IBM Corporation" each time they say IBM.

Maybe they would have not needed Microsoft's bailout if these guys put as much time into writing a good OS (and good programs) instead of marketing until their heads imploded with lies:

  • "first 64 bit personal computer" -er not at all
  • "64 bit is faster than 32 bit" -er blanket statements cannot be possibly true in all cases
  • "the apple G5 is faster than any Unix workstation"


Comically, the guy at pixar actually says "its important for us at Pixar to see every pixel at full resolution; and the Apple G5 lets us see every pixel on the screen."

[edited by - flangazor on June 24, 2003 8:40:47 AM]
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
quote:
Original post by flangazor
"first 64 bit personal computer" -er not at all
This has been debated to death on some other forums. The Apple PowerMac G5 is the first 64-bit desktop/personal computer. It''s not the first 64-bit computer, and it''s not the first 64-bit workstation - but it doesn''t purport to be.

quote:
"32 bit is faster than 64 bit" -er blanket statements cannot be possibly true in all cases
Is that quote backwards?

quote:
"the apple G5 is faster than any Unix workstation"
Obvious exaggeration, but the PowerMac G5 is a serious contender against 64-bit workstations from Sun and SGI at nearly half the price.

But, yeah, Apple is a marketing company.
flangazor
flangazor
quote:
This has been debated to death on some other forums. The Apple PowerMac G5 is the first 64-bit desktop/personal computer. It's not the first 64-bit computer, and it's not the first 64-bit workstation - but it doesn't purport to be.

Its a tower, not a desktop. If you mean "first 64 bit computer for personal use" then I could counter with the decent amount of 64 bit computers that people have put together on their own, or from specialist dealers for a few years now.

I guess if it doesn't come from Dell, Gateway, Sony, HP or Apple, its not a "personal computer"?

And I guess Workstations from SGI, Sun, or DEC are conveniently "workstations" and not personal computers, even though you can use G5 for work which makes them workstations, but not really workstations?

Apple press releases are great for playing wankword bingo.

You are right though; Apple is a marketing company. All their successes are merely customizations of other people's work. They are like Mugen to Honda. Their chips are good; and not made by them. Their OS was rubbish until they gave up and based it on UNIX and stole loads of ideas from Microsoft (features in Panther include a glorified alt-tab, a revamp of finder to make it more like Explorer, a font browser).

The more I think about it, the more I really despise them. But their computers are oh so fancy looking and would look great in my house.

[edited by - flangazor on June 24, 2003 8:54:06 AM]
KBab
KBab
am I missing something here, people are saying it''s great for games but I thought 99% of games didnt work on macs? whats up with that?
Tyro
Tyro
quote:
Original post by flangazor
Comically, the guy at pixar actually says "its important for us at Pixar to see every pixel at full resolution; and the Apple G5 lets us see every pixel on the screen."



you misquoted this, its supposed to be "its important for us at Pixar to see every frame at full resolutions and the Apple G5 lets us see everypixel on the screen."

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.