Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Loading in 3DS files

Started by AN_D_K Dec 11, 2003 at 4:49 AM 4 replies 950+ views
Original Post
AN_D_K
AN_D_K
Does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to load in a 3DS (or any other 3D format) into a program? I found something on this site but it was pure source code (and for DirextX at that). Cheers
DJohnson
DJohnson
The NeHe site has a nice tutorial for loading a Milkshape3D file. I got it working without much trouble. Just make sure you load the textures AFTER the initiation.

As for 3DS, I''ve been searching for a tutorial on that one myself. Let me know if you find a good one.
Or what? You'll send the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees and when they bark they shoot bees at you?
Firewalker
Firewalker
http://www.wotsit.org/search.asp?s=3d

and


at http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/opengl/OpenGL_Pg4.htm
a down toward the bottom of the page there is a demo and code for a 3ds file loader.
Sander
Sander
Also, If you download the MilkShape3D Plugin SDK, there''s a 3DS importer plugin with source code there. You can take a look at that source to get an idea.

Also, AutoDesk has a 3DS SDK especially for people who want to load or save 3DS models from their programs. Be sure to get that. (you will need this 3DS SDK to compile the 3DS plugins from the MilkShape SDK)

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]
AN_D_K
AN_D_K
Thaks for that. I think I remember seeing the tutorial at GameTutorials.com before but I forgot the site. Spend all day trying to remember it!

I will also have a look into converting into Milkshape first. I''ve been hearing a lot of good things about it.

Yey! I now have a fun little project for the holidays.
DJSnow
DJSnow
support.discreet.com -> downloads -> "3DS File toolkit"
(current version should be 3.0 IIRC)


DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.