Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Imperium - Rise of Rome <Programmers neeed>

Started by Strategy Aug 31, 2000 at 9:30 AM 11 replies 1.1k views
Original Post
Strategy
Strategy
Judging from the usual level of response that this forum seems to have, this is probably a waste of time, but here goes anyway... "Imperium - Rise of Rome" is a strategy game simulating the Hellenistic world from Rome''s first intervention in affairs outside Italy in the middle of the third century BC to the birth of the Principate a quarter of a millennium later. The game allows players to take on the roles of a faction of senators vying for control of Rome, a Patrician Clan struggling for control of Carthage or the King of one of the Alexandrian successor states. The game focuses on personnel management, and spans strategic, operational and tactical levels. The team: There are several other people involved in the game (map designers, reviewers, historical validation, etc.) for free, but the bulk of the game design and development is being done by one person (me). I am myself designer/lead programmer on the game - have many years experience in coding in C++ and AI (I have an M.Sc. in Computer Science and am currently taking a Ph.D.) The game is being produced using Inprise C++-Builder, and we''re looking for 1-3 more programmers with skills in one or more of the following areas: DirectX, animation, and/or AI. Interest in Roman/Classical history and wargames is a plus (obviously). It would also be a big bonus if you live in Northern Europe (I''m from Denmark myself, so anyone living in Scandinavia is especially welcome), as it would be nice to get together and talk/discuss at some point (if nothing else then to celebrate when the game is completed). There is no pay involved - this is strictly for royalties only. Currently, the plan is to sell the game through an independent wargames publisher (such as shrapnelgames.com or simmilar). We are not currently looking for graphic artists or sound designers as the development is currently focused on the game engine itself (note again: this is a strategy game). Check the "stripped" web-site at http://www.cs.auc.dk/~strategy/Imperium or contact me at strategy@cs.auc.dk.
Strategy
Strategy
No Scandinavian programmers on this board interested in Roman history? No programmers on this board interested in strategy games? Oh well...
Strategy
Strategy
Jester101 - If I had that kind of money, I wouldn't bother looking for someone to hire - I'd take 6 months leave from my Ph.D. and sit down and complete this baby myself.





Edited by - strategy on September 6, 2000 6:12:26 AM
Knarkles
Knarkles
quote:
Original post by Strategy

No Scandinavian programmers on this board interested in Roman history? No programmers on this board interested in strategy games? Oh well...


I''m a Scandinavian programmer making a strategy game.

-Jussi
AMARAII
AMARAII
Hey Strategy in Denmark.Can I ask how your game spans strategic operational and tactical levels. I have been working on a similiar game for many years as well. maybe we can talk. I have not heard anyone voice ideas as close to the same line I am working on.It is nice to hear someone else talk about ancient warfare games . I know this stuff can be top secret so if you want to email me it is amaraii@hotmail.com .If not ..good luck
Mange
Mange
Hello

I am from Sweden and I will gladly help out with the graphics for this marvellous game I have been to your homepage and the game sounds fantastic. I love ancient warfare, especially the roman warfare

/Magnus

Strategy
Strategy
Mange - Got your e-mail; will send you a note presently.

Jussi - Nice to know there are other strategy gamers/programmers out there (sometimes I think everyone on this forum are making MPRPGS). Would be even nicer if you were interested in working on Imperium... What kind of game?

Amaraii - No problem; I don't hold to the priniciple of keeping ideas secret. Basically, I distinguish between the three levels of gameplay as follows:

Strategic:
The player is responsible of course for the long-term strategies of the various empires, involving diplomatic decisions, but also various political interactions with other factions within the power.

Operational:
The player controls the movement of "his" armies around in his empire; under the restrictions imposed upon him by the strategy set by the government (himself if he is one of the Kings, the Senate if he is Roman or Carthaginian).

Tactical:
When armies or fleets meet, or a siege is begun, the battle is resolved in a "limited-time" tactical battle.

Each of the three levels will be individually playable (though the strategic game might not be very interesting without the operational aspects, it will be a fully playable "mini-game" in its own right).

Hope that gives you an idea of what I plan to be doing, otherwise you can either post in the forum on the Imperium web site, or we can take the discussion to the Game design forum here (might be nice to discuss some strategy design there instead of always reading about FPS and RPGs).

/Strategy

Edited by - strategy on September 7, 2000 6:40:48 AM
Knarkles
Knarkles
quote:
Original post by Strategy

Jussi - Nice to know there are other strategy gamers/programmers out there (sometimes I think everyone on this forum are making MPRPGS). Would be even nicer if you were interested in working on Imperium... What kind of game?


A "4x" space strategy game. The project is so huge that I don''t have time for another. I would be interested, but I don''t have time for two projects.

-Jussi
Strategy
Strategy
Pity.

Have you checked out the site for that "5X" space strategy, Master of Orion 3? They have a lot of interesting ideas, and regularly update the website - you might read something useful on it.
Knarkles
Knarkles
quote:
Original post by Strategy

Have you checked out the site for that "5X" space strategy, Master of Orion 3? They have a lot of interesting ideas, and regularly update the website - you might read something useful on it.


Yes, and I have been posting on the forum, though not lately. It has frighteningly lot of similar features as our game, but honestly, we had thought of them before even realizing MOO3 was going to be released. (eg. theoretical and applied science)

-Jussi

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.