So, so disappointed in Spider-Man 2 (*Spoilers*)

Started by
69 comments, last by Rob Loach 19 years, 9 months ago
Oh boy am I disappointed in Spidey this season. I loved Spider-Man, thought it was a great film that did some good justice to the backstory and the characters. Spider-Man 2? Oy, not so good. 1. Action Lets be honest, a comic book film is going to be (should be) about the action. The action was decent, had some memorable moments and some believable CG work. Spidey really took a beating, it was enjoyable. Where are all my witty Spidey one-liners though? The only decent one in the film was Doc Ocks: "I believe you have a train to catch." 2. Love Story Oy. This ended up being more chick flick than comic book. Heres the basic summary: ("I love you, do you love me?" "Yes. No. Maybe. I don't know.") x 10. God, just shut up. I don't care if you end up with Mary Jane or not, and I certainly stopped caring after the second scene of the tripe they try to pass off as dialogue. 3. Spider-Man 3 = Green Goblin again? WTF -- You did the Green Goblin, I don't want to see a repeat of the same character with a different "soul". Wheres Rhino and the Lizard? Even a caemo from Venom, or something. Hell give me the Hobgoblin, but not the Green Goblin again. Yargh. Anyway, I was thoroughly disappointed in Spider-Man 2, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Atleast Kirsten Dunst is still hot.
Advertisement
I hate you.

I doubt there's any way to change your opinion of this superb film. However, I will say that the third movie will have the Hobgoblin. The Hobgoblin was originally the Green Goblin's son, who wanted to exact his revenge on Spiderman for exacting his revenge on the Green Goblin for killing Mary Jane.

Also, this movie had considerably more one-liners than the original. That was one of the big complains people had about it.

CM
I liked Spider Man 2 to be honest. One of the things that has made Marvel heroes so endearing is that they actually have a human side.. human imperfections. They established quite nicely the anguish and torment Parker was going through..

I went into the moving expecting to be disappointed.. but ended up really liking it.

So I suppose my viewing experience was vastly different from yours.

Btw, did you catch the cameo of Stan Lee saving the girl from being hit by falling debris? He had one line.. "watch out!"

---
Michael Tanczos
No matter what it is, nobody seems to be happy unless they have something to complain about.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Quote:Original post by Michael Tanczos
Btw, did you catch the cameo of Stan Lee saving the girl from being hit by falling debris? He had one line.. "watch out!"

I missed that, although in the "Raindrops" scene, I was pretty sure Stan Lee walked behind Peter. He was the only person who did...I got the impression the person was going to do something important but then he didn't.

My only complaint about the movie was with the hospital scene. It felt *way* too much like Evil Dead 2. I'm not sure if that's the effect he was shooting for, but its what I felt through the whole thing. Then the chainsaw showed up, and my suspicion was confirmed.

CM
Quote:Original post by Conner McCloud
However, I will say that the third movie will have the Hobgoblin. The Hobgoblin was originally the Green Goblin's son...

Incorrect. A lot of people make this mistake I find. Hobgoblin is NOT Harry Osborn. Harry assumes the identity of his father as the Green Goblin.

I did catch the caemo Michael Tanczos, it was incredibly fast and didn't feature his face much at all =)

I'm sorry that I'm "complaining" when an action film was more love story than action.
I thought it was pretty good (although I'm not a long-time Spiderman fan so I don't know if it's true to the comics). The only real gripe I have is the that the whole thing with spidey-losing-his-powers was never really explained. He starts losing his spider powers, goes all geeky and needs glasses again, and then... gets his powers back because his maybe-girlfriend gets kidnapped? What was he lacking? Action? Excitement? Spinach? MJ-snoggage?
Spider-Man II was rated... the best superhero film in a long time, was it not?

By the way, Venom would rock.

If Venom ever made it into a film, I hope he wins.
Quote:Original post by fractoid
I thought it was pretty good (although I'm not a long-time Spiderman fan so I don't know if it's true to the comics). The only real gripe I have is the that the whole thing with spidey-losing-his-powers was never really explained. He starts losing his spider powers, goes all geeky and needs glasses again, and then... gets his powers back because his maybe-girlfriend gets kidnapped? What was he lacking? Action? Excitement? Spinach? MJ-snoggage?

I feel they explained it pretty well...it was psychological. He didn't *want* to be Spiderman anymore, so he subconsciously turned off his powers. Even when trying to turn them back on, he didn't really want to. Until Mary-Jane was attacked, at which point he had a pretty clear reason to don the Spiderman role again.

Apparently, I was pretty wrong about the whole Green Goblin storyline, although I got the overall idea right. At any rate, the fact that the third movie would involve Harry was clear in the first film.

CM
I liked it. Pretty much for all the reasons stated.

Be patient young padawan. Venom's coming. Or atleast they set up the story getting ready for the space stuff, and low behold, VENOM!
if(this.post == SATISFYING){money.send(1.00,&HemoGloben);return thanks;}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement