Notifying an administrator

Started by
3 comments, last by falkone 19 years, 7 months ago
Not sure if this has been brought up, so... Would it be reasonable to have a system where a user can 'flag' a thread to bring something to the attention of an administrator. If something like this happens, the solution should to notify the moderator of the forum (or staff if it's a major issue). Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that a given moderator will be around when the request was made.. and no way to tell when the mod might be coming back... so instead of PMing multiple moderators when something happens (PMing multiple mods might increase annoyance and multiple moderators responding to the same problem. Even with that, the question remains of which moderators to notify after the forum mod has been PMed), it'd be nice to be able to make sortof a "public request for moderation" that could be viewed by moderators and staff. I also have a question.. can a moderator or staff member view information about a person's private messaging (given sufficient reason, of course)?
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Advertisement
You mean like the report this post to a moderator icon at the bottom of each post?
Yeah, use your eyeballs!

As for the PM thing, I'm sure moderators can't see people's PMs, but staff obviously can just because they run the site. They can look at the database or the message log or even sign in under someone else's account, if they wanted to.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Quote:Original post by falkone
Not sure if this has been brought up, so...

Would it be reasonable to have a system where a user can 'flag' a thread to bring something to the attention of an administrator. If something like this happens, the solution should to notify the moderator of the forum (or staff if it's a major issue). Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that a given moderator will be around when the request was made.. and no way to tell when the mod might be coming back... so instead of PMing multiple moderators when something happens (PMing multiple mods might increase annoyance and multiple moderators responding to the same problem. Even with that, the question remains of which moderators to notify after the forum mod has been PMed), it'd be nice to be able to make sortof a "public request for moderation" that could be viewed by moderators and staff.

I also have a question.. can a moderator or staff member view information about a person's private messaging (given sufficient reason, of course)?

When you flag a post, all moderators can see the flag. In general the forum moderator will be the one who will respond, unless they are absent. As for the later question, you would have to take that up with a staffer.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Mmm. thanks.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement