Need some help with my next project.

Started by
46 comments, last by Raduprv 19 years, 4 months ago
Just so you know, for the time being I am not looking for programmers or artists, we have everything we need (for now) and I don't really think my request would do well in the Help forum. Like I was saying in my previous thread (quiting working at Eternal Lands), I (along with some of the members from the EL team) am starting the next project, Barren Moon, a combination between real time strategy and RPG. Without going into a lot of details for now (I'll post the design document on the site, once it's finished), the game will involve a lot of team work, where the players will build their own cities, trade with other cities, build various structures and buildings in their city, digging mines, wells, etc. As the name suggests, you start in a barren world, and you'll also have to terraform (most of it will be desert and swamps (different areas, of course)). So I am looking for someone to help us with some research in various fields, such as geology, medieval history, etc. Real life examples of questions I need an answer for: 1. How to build mortar with very rudimentary tools and resoruces. 2. How would you grow crops in a desert (besides for irrigation you also need some kind of soil other than sand), with limited resources, and nothig but desert around. 3. How would you drain a swamp with rudimentary tools and limited resources. There are many other questions that we need to find a plausible answer, so if someone is interested in doing some research for free (in exchange to some credits in the game) let me know here. You can also post the answer to those questions on this thread, and if when I'll have more questions I'll also post them here. P.S. The design document will be public, I really don't think anyone can steal it and make their own MMORPG with our ideas before we finish it. P.P.S The website I posted is completly empty for the time being, just got the domain and parked it to our hosting, but I don't even have an account there yet (will have one tomorrow).
Advertisement
Sure, research is no problem! [grin]

Growing plants without soil

Believe it or not, cannon barrels were sometimes carved out of hardwood in desperate situations. Although they did work, they had a much higher rate of failure (ball jam > explosion) than did their metal counterparts (which did occasionally explode too)

Article About Draining Swamp to make Golf Green
Would this game be semi-historical? Like, do you want info on how the ancient egyptians irrigated the desert, or do you want more modern things? How much stuff would you need? Is this going to be a couple hour a week commitment, or more involved?

The idea for the game sounds really cool, and I may be willing to help out a bit. I consider myself more versed than most in ancient world history and I hope I could use google as a tool, as well... PM me or just reply to this if you are interested.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Quote:Original post by Mushu
Sure, research is no problem! [grin]

Growing plants without soil

Thanks, but the idea is to grow a lot of crops (ie. to support the city), so I was thinking that some thin soil should be created first. Most of the game (in the beginning) involves little techology.

@Sr_Guapo
The game will not be historical at all, the action will take place on a moon in some other solar system. But I do want everything to be as accurate as possible (but not to the point to inadvertently neativaly impact the gameplay).
I am still interested. I definately think this would be a fun project. As I hinted at before, I probably would not be able to contribute more than a couple hours a week.

Are you planning on any sort of compensation for the work? Just curious [wink]...
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
1. How to build mortar with very rudimentary tools and resoruces.

PRACTICAL GUIDANCE ON THE MAKING AND USE OF LIME MORTAR.

Ingredients:
hydrated lime
ash
lime sand
water
tub

Basic Instructions:
Soak hydrated lime in water to make a putty.
Mix putty with lime sand to make the mortar.
Stove ash may be added to make it sticky and easier to use.

That site is written to show how to repair the mortar in old stone walls, but if it's for a game I guess you could pretend to use this recipe and some stones to build new walls.
I used to house quite a bit of medieval knowledge in my brain. That was before I had to make room for other things called "life and jobs." But like any computer, the data never really goes away and there is always a way to get it back. I could help in a pinch, but its better not to ask for a broad overview of medieval times. Its like asking about the 1800's. Lots happened then. Too much to list all at once. Narrow yourself down to a specific "age" or state of technological advancement.

For instance, your swamp draining. If they could fashion a hose like structure, as well as a set of steps higher than 5 feet, you could fill the hose with water from the swamp, plug both ends of it, drape the hose over the steps going down with one end in the swamp, and another on dry land, then unplug both ends of the hose. Done just right, gravity will cause the water to fall out the end on the bottom of the slope, and as water drains from the hose, new water enters on the swamp end due to suction.

Fish tank cleaning 101.
Quote:Original post by Sr_Guapo
I am still interested. I definately think this would be a fun project. As I hinted at before, I probably would not be able to contribute more than a couple hours a week.

Are you planning on any sort of compensation for the work? Just curious [wink]...

There might be some minor financial compensation, but no promisses. Those who help (substantially) with the research will get free lifetime accounts.

@Wolfmanyoda
Any idea where can lime be collected? In real life, I mean.
Quote:Original post by benutne
stuff

The tech is not limited to any age, the idea is for it to progress as the players research and discover new things.
The hose idea wouldn't work, the swamp is all over, you'd just move the water around.
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Quote:Original post by Sr_Guapo

There might be some minor financial compensation, but no promisses. Those who help (substantially) with the research will get free lifetime accounts.

@Wolfmanyoda
Any idea where can lime be collected? In real life, I mean.

Lime is a natural mineral deposit. Either you got it or you dont.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement