What Is The Current Best Game Creation Software Program?

Started by
18 comments, last by Andrew Russell 19 years, 5 months ago
Which of these game creation software programs, if any is the current best. DarkBASIC Pro, Blitz Basic 3-D or something else?
Advertisement
Dev-C++, Microsoft Visual Studio's C++, or similar. You really should learn a programming language!
Otherwise try something "simpler" - Quick BASIC is old but easy, Visual Basic is pretty neat too.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

OK, look, we've already talked to you about this. Just go with whatever suits your needs.

Blitz-Basic or DarkBASIC, etc. If you want to create a fairly low quality but still working game. Go with whatever suits your budget and needs based on their feature set. You'll probably get about the same results out of whatever you use (a fairly low quality game).

Otherwise learn C++ if you're willing to dedicate years of time to it and program it properly yourself.
And remember, Olussyi is creating a simple hockey game in PyGame. Perhaps you should look in to that. At least you'd be learning a real programming language while you use it (particularly good if it is your intention to be a real programmer some day).
Quote:Original post by Andrew Russel
Blitz-Basic or DarkBASIC, etc. If you want to create a fairly low quality but still working game.

IIRC Blitz Basic was used for many professional quality commercial computer games (Best Friends, Platypus) I suppose if you want to make a FPSMMORPG blitz may not be up to the task, but then again nothing really is.
vipejc, those are not game creation programs, they are implementations of the BASIC programming language, with extended features designed to make writing 3D games easy. But you still have to program the game yourself.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Quote:Original post by vipejc
Which of these game creation software programs, if any is the current best. DarkBASIC Pro, Blitz Basic 3-D or something else?

RPGMaker 2k3! You can use variables. And stuff. To make RPGs.
Quote:Original post by Diodor
Quote:Original post by Andrew Russel
Blitz-Basic or DarkBASIC, etc. If you want to create a fairly low quality but still working game.

IIRC Blitz Basic was used for many professional quality commercial computer games (Best Friends, Platypus) I suppose if you want to make a FPSMMORPG blitz may not be up to the task, but then again nothing really is.

I'll agree that it's possible to make a simple but commercial quality game with these systems. However, vipejc wants to make Hockey game that rivals EA's. Simply not going to happen with any BASIC program.

With a lot of effort he could probably make a pretty cool game, perhaps commercial quality of mid 90s (even late 90s?), but it'd still be a long way of rivaling EA's today.
While I'm here, I'll suggest another possible way of doing it.

You could look at the Torque Game Engine. It seems to be rather nice.
DevC++, in combination with the SDL and OpenGL libraries, maybe FMOD added to it for sound.

All completely free and allows you to create 3D games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement