Original Post
About seven years ago, I became fascinated with an AI project called ''Cyc'' (www.cyc.com) and I began to learn about meta-level knowledge bases, frame based AI, scripts, etc. It got me thinking about the ultimate future of games, and I arrived at this:
Just as a storyteller narrates a story and improvises when appropriate, imagine an AI ''gamemaster'' which dynamically plots the role of your game persona. In other words, the AI sets the stage for you, and lets you engage in play. As gameplay unfolds, the AI draws upon its vast knowledge of plot techniques and the gameplayer''s tastes to make a unique and custom tailored experience for the player. Each player would have a unique experience, and each time the player begins anew, gameplay would unfold differently.
Essentially, what would be required in addition to advances in AI, is an AI which has knowledge about plots, schemes, roles, writing, etc.
Looking from this hypothetical future backwards, what would be the first step to initiate gameplay like this? Taking into account that we don''t have this advanced AI technology, what would be possible now?
It seems possible that we could develop a ''lite'' knowledge base of mini-plots with fill in the blank slots. I know that someone else mentioned this concept on another thread. The key is to program the AI with enough panache and knowledge of context so that it can make all these plots gel effectively.
I also propose that the AI should be able to build a model of the player and their tastes and desires. The AI should keep notes on the average duration that the player plays, the situations in which the player is most responsive and active, and which activities the player appears to enjoy engaging in.
Any thoughts on the ''future'' of AI gamemastering?