which uses openGL which directx?

Started by
16 comments, last by noVum 19 years, 2 months ago
HI please tell me which games use openGL and which use directx(new games). I think directx is more common than openGL whats your opinion? its all about graphics no sound or other parts just graphics.
Advertisement
A quick scan of the system requirements will tell you :)
A Quick scan of my own collection to hand says Doom3 DX9.0b, FarCry DX9, GFA Vice City DX9, I have Age Of Mythology somewhere which i assume is DX (due to it being released by Microsoft). The only game i could find on a quick scan that uses OpenGL is Star Trek Voyager Elite Force. It is powered by the Quake3 engine so i assume that uses OGL too. However Elite Force uses DX7 for sound, and possibly input and networking.

So to answer your question I imagine that DX is more widely used than OGL, at a guess probably because it is easier to understand and use for object oriented development, being OO itself. Possibly also becuase it may be far easier and more transparent to update that OGL with MS's various frameworks. Why do you ask?

It would probably be best to learn both if thats why your asking. I remember Half-life (the original) could use both as well as pure software for rendering (is my recollection correct?) so both could be usefull in a commercial environment. Also 3DSMax can use OGL and DX for rendering for a more modern example.
Quote:Original post by Citizen PainI remember Half-life (the original) could use both as well as pure software for rendering (is my recollection correct?).
Yeah Half-Life supports OpenGL and Direct3d. I switched to Direct3D in an early stage because it just seemed more 'pro' to me..but now I learn both.
Quote:Original post by Citizen Pain
A quick scan of the system requirements will tell you :)
A Quick scan of my own collection to hand says Doom3 DX9.0b

Doom 3 uses OpenGL for rendering. It may use other DirectX APIs and it may list D3D requirements as a guideline to what sort of video chipsets are necessary, but it uses OpenGL, not D3D. (If it used D3D, we wouldn't have a Linux port.)
Personally, I find OpenGL easier to learn and a cleaner API, but from a professional point of view DX is probably more valuable as far as scoring a job.
I'm willing to believe Doom3 uses OGL or DX for rendering but on the requirements the game requests a graphics card with DX9b compatiblity on the card? Why if it uses OGL. The Linux port, IMHO definatly uses OGL, but that doesn't mean the windows version does :).

I can see where the thought of DX being more 'pro' than OGL comes from, whether it has an basis in fact or not. OGL seems more teach yourself 3D programming than DX, not a crit on functionallity just my own impression of code written using both.

But then I learned OGL at UNI for graphics programming so my position is probably biased :).
Please don't confuse DirectX with Direct3D, DirectX is a whole collection of apis. Direct3D is a 3d oop api.
OpenGL is a simple function based solid state graphics library.
OpenGL does not fulfill all the roles DirectX covers & they are not mutually exclusive.
Direct3D was designed in oop to more suitably control itself if you will. In OpenGL it is upto you to provide the framework to do this. It mearly provides the functions & possabilities to do so.
I use GL & will continue to do so. I have always designed my own systems & would gain nothing from using a Direct3D framework.
Just some thoughts to consider :]

push{  To the above.  Doom3 uses DirectInput for it's key input. That's the only directx dependancy I can think of right now.  It is GL rendered}
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
I'm not confusing DX with D3D, I assumed that Doom3 uses DX (i.e. D3D) for rendering because it asks for a fully DX compatible video card i.e. straight from the back of the Doom3 box :

3D Hardware Accelerator Card Required - 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers.

Why would it ask for DX9.0b compatiblity specifically if it catigorically never used it for rendering. I'm prepared to believe your right and OGL is the only rendering API used but why not ask for OGL support?

Of course DX has a more well defined feature set requirement that OGL, is that why?
Sorry, I was not saying it just for(at) you. I was stating it more globally for people. The terms DX & D3D seem to have both been used interchangeably & I wanted to cure any confusion

Doom3 uses DirectGraphics to access the graphics card (kinda like you use sdl to mount your gl apps). The renderer is still strictly OpenGL

"well defined feature set" ? well that's just my previous point. GL is not defined. It merely provides the base functions & thus the potential. It is upto you to build the structure (in opose to DirectX's oop design). Is that what you mean?
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
Quote:Original post by Citizen Pain
Why would it ask for DX9.0b compatiblity specifically if it catigorically never used it for rendering. I'm prepared to believe your right and OGL is the only rendering API used but why not ask for OGL support?
Because due to marketing, a consumer is more likely to know their DX compatibility level than their OGL compatibility level. It's all the same thing, of course, but in a more manageable number.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement