Specialized skills and other stuff - rpg

Started by
17 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 5 months ago
Hum bug, i''ve been working on this futuristic rpg for sometime now. I''ve been strugling with the use on the prime attributes for the character. If anyone remembers (it doesn''t really matter if you don''t) that some of my last posts here where on the use of the 5 sences as the prime attributes. And guess what, i''m still working on it and that was over a month now. So, i''ve come crawling back here for some help, help if you can please. Basically, what we''ve got is a game-world devised on another planet or moon. The character will spend a lot of their time in an environment suit. So what does this have to do with the 5 sences you ask yourself. Just think "Smell". Smell ain''t going to be very useful in a spacesuit unless you are quite fond of your own pheromones and that other yucky pong that emi.. no, i''ll spare you. Taste isn''t really a problem, we''ve sort of overcome that issue insofar. So where this leaves me is how do i make smell useful when the character is going to spend most of their game-life in a spacesuit. Well, what i also havn''t told you is that there are implants in the game. This has also been an option for making use of the sense smell. What i was thinking is that the characters body could start to rot when they start to use a lot of implants, this way smell could become a valuable sence (as valuable as the other sences anyhow). I was also thinking of making the use of the 5 sences in the game more remote by having preset specialized skills that function via the 5 sences. Ok, so before i go on to make this the world biggest thread i''ll leave it here for feedback as maybe i''ve left something out that i''ve taken for granted and should be explained. If you''ve got any thought''s about what i''ve written than please do post away, i really DO want to here any postive or constructive criticisms. Anything at all about what i''ve written. Thanks in advance Cheers. "So you''re the one that designed that game are you?" *Gulp* "Umm, yeah"
Advertisement
While the 5 senses may take care of a lot of personal character details (how well a character can see, how acute a character''s sense of taste is for testing poisons, etc), it doesn''t really say much about the rest of the character''s body. You might incorporate something that describes the character''s physical prowess (can he/she carry around a Moonraker rifle? how quickly does he/she tire while wearing an environment suit?), intellectual capabilities (physics or metallurgy or chemistry?), innate talents (has a knack for counting cards in Poker games), and so on. Without these, and with limiting the character to 5 senses that are personal and not external, I doubt you will have a hard time reasoning everythings'' reactions in the game world.

MatrixCubed
quote:Original post by Paul Cunningham
The character will spend a lot of their time in an environment suit.

So really the only useful senses would be sight and sound, right?

quote:
So where this leaves me is how do i make smell useful when the character is going to spend most of their game-life in a spacesuit.

This seems like a game mechanic in search of a game, rather than a natural part of the design. Why is it important to add in the other senses? Theme alone doesn''t seem to be enough.

quote:
What i was thinking is that the characters body could start to rot when they start to use a lot of implants, this way smell could become a valuable sence (as valuable as the other sences anyhow).

Think about how you''re going to represent this through the UI. "You smell rotting meat" somehow doesn''t sound right. Having to puzzle out a bunch of chemical indicators that hint at putrification doesn''t sound right. (And to tell you the truth, the whole thing''s a bit gross. )

BTW, be careful here, this is how we get a lot of inconsistency in the world fiction of our games. We hack in solutions rather than reasoning out how things would really be in our game world. If rot is a part of your game world, then fine, but it isn''t what I''d expect to find when I think about or read SF books about implants.

quote:
I was also thinking of making the use of the 5 sences in the game more remote by having preset specialized skills that function via the 5 sences.

Okay, this sounds better. In fact, how about this? The player''s suit could be layered with sophistocated sensors that gather information like human skin. This information is conveyed only through the implants. The better the player''s implants, the more information the "sense-suit" is able to convey.

I''m not sure what you have in mind in terms of gameplay. If you are solving environmental puzzles, and have need to know a bunch of sensory information to do so, then I think this works. For instance, I can see this as especially valuable if you''re in an alien biome, and genetic and chemical information about your surroundings can mean life or death.

I think, though, if your main gameplay is straightforward combat, you may want to re-examine your approach, because as MatrixCubed noted there''s more to fighting than the senses.

PS: Welcome back!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Amen to the last post.

I think touch would also be a problem. ''It feels like the inside of your glove.''

I think the proper approach at this point is to work the problems backwards. Put he five senses on the shelf for a bit and figure out what the player-world interaction will be. that will dictate how many variables you will need, and may also give you some idea for the description.

you may end up replacing smell with ESP or an energy field detector (smells like....a laser beam went through here).
Bugger, i wrote a post but it didn''t make it a few days ago. Probably good actually. But yeah, the best idea is to work out what is needed for the game and work from there.

What i was doing was starting my designing of the game from the character then go onto combat. It''ll probably be best just to design around the concepts that are currently sticking and work merely off those. We''ll see i guess.

Hopefully this post works..

"So you''re the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"

JUST use STR; DEX; INT; ( you cant go wrong with those)
and add more if you like ( Luck for example)
and if you dont know thats STRENGTH; DEXTERITY; and INTELEGENCE;
call it how you will but all atributes come from thare!
if you need more help read up on some pencil and paper RPG''s
D&D or Star Wars will work....

Dont use the sences( bad idea)

Keep conjuring the undead, my friends...
Keep conjuring the undead, my friends...
Or, you could scrap Stats altogether and go with skills. I am not going to say that senses won''t work, or that any other system is better than anther, because it hasn''t been tried. But how you would make senses work into the system would be very interesting. How would you implement senses to work off a normal PC? Would you end up using icons or what?

Necromancer - you use more smileys than I ever used to and you spell your ''whay'' ''way''

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Just when you think a thread is dead

Ok (loads up design doc)... (cut/paste)

quote:
From the Design Document

The 5 senses will make up the backbone of the character’s functionality. These currently are:
- The digestive system
- Stimulation Response
- Perception both mental and physical
- Judgement
- Balance
- Build
- Instinct
- Accuracy

Taste
The sense of Taste holds together all characteristics of the Digestive System. It is responsible also for the player’s Health. Taste operates to maintain the character’s ability to receive healing. Lower taste will result in medicines that are not as affective for the player’s character. This may include treatment/s via implants (yet to be discussed).

Touch
Stimulation Response is the major factor contributing to the sense of Touch. This allows the character to perform actions cohesively and provides them with a natural ability to adjust to altering physical conditions such as implants. If the sense of touch becomes dampened then the player can lose contact with their special implant abilities. Secondly, Touch may also denote the character build (if included).

Smell
Smell provides the player’s character with all area’s of Perception including memory, plus natural instincts. Smell will allow accurate understanding of geographic conditions and skill growth (if included). Under such circumstances that would reduce the character’s sense of smell the character’s usage of various items would decline from a base level. They may also not be able to detect traps and/or ambushes or receive a late warning depending on the circumstances.

Hearing
One of the most important senses for the character, hearing not only allows the character to communicate with other NPC’s but also allows the character a sense of Balance and Judgement. The main use of balance is to allow the character the ability to avoid injuries from hostile or non-hostile situations. Loss of Balance and Judgement lead’s to clumsy use of items and frequent mistakes usually leading to an unnecessary need for healing and implant energy usage. Rule of thumb; no hearing no evasion.

Sight
This sense becomes most important when faced with hostile conditions, it allows the character to retaliate with accuracy and confidence. Although Accuracy can be altered via the use of implants, all implants that affect accuracy must use the sense as the base to work off. Without good functionality of this sense all implants that affect accuracy and judgement are rendered useless and so it becomes very important to keep this sense at optimum performance at all times. If your sight flails at the wrong time then you won’t have to worry about your retirement plans.

I don''t know if the guys will like me doing this but maybe we can flesh something out. Note: the main issue is smell, i was thinking of using it for memory but it''s been mention that this maybe misleading or inconsistant?? Thoughts.

"So you''re the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"
I like the divisions you''ve set up. It''s far more interesting than the generic str, dex, etc.

Using smell for memory is ok, since smells can provoke very strong associations for people.
Paul, email me that lil snippit you put up here and i''ll see what sense i can make of it later on i think i can figger something out to help you.

J

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement