DirectMusic Theory

Started by
2 comments, last by Greg K 19 years, 1 month ago
Just had a couple questions that I was hoping someone could help clarify. Say I have a sound segment. I want to play this sound segment in three different 3D locations at the same time. To do this, would I need 3 audioPaths? I am assuming so, but I was wondering if maybe there was an easier way to do this. -Greg
Advertisement
Isn't this a fairly trivial thing in DirectMusic? You need to do this to have 3D sound, so it must be fairly common knowledge...

-Greg
I've not done 3D sound with DirectMusic before, although I have used DirectMusic for 2D stuff (does DMusic even support 3D stuff natively?). By my understanding you'd just have to create some sort of 3D audiopath, not 3 distinct ones. I may be wrong (I'd have to read the documentation more closely), but needing multiple audiopaths doesn't sound right to me...
Yeah, it didn't really sound right to me either. And you are completely correct in thinking that DirectMusic does not do 3D sound. It is actually DirectSound called from DirectMusic.

The setup I have now:

AudioClip
-DirectMusicSegment

AudioInstance
-DirectSound3DBuffer
-DirectMusicAudioPath

I load a sound clip into an AudioClip object. Then, when I want to play the sound I create a AudioInstance object with a new DirectMusicAudioPath and get and manipulate the DirectSound3DBuffer to move it around in space.

-Greg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement