microwave resistant spiders...

Started by
25 comments, last by BiGF00T 19 years ago
Today I wanted to put my plant into another pot and so I got some earth from the garden. I once had a bad experience with ants in earth so I decided to microwave the whole pot with the earth in it to make sure that nothing can survive. I microwaved it around 3 minutes at 1000 W and the pot was veeery hot when it came out but when I put it on my desk I saw a spider walking out of it as if nothing had ever happened! WTF?!? I knew that cockroaches are supposed to survive radiation and maybe spiders too but I didn't know that they are also heat resistant... Can someone explain how they can survive something like that? Is their chitin protecting them? But I thought microwaves go through nearly all materials (at least organic)..
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by BiGF00T
Today I wanted to put my plant into another pot and so I got some earth from the garden. I once had a bad experience with ants in earth so I decided to microwave the whole pot with the earth in it to make sure that nothing can survive. I microwaved it around 3 minutes at 1000 W and the pot was veeery hot when it came out but when I put it on my desk I saw a spider walking out of it as if nothing had ever happened!
WTF?!? I knew that cockroaches are supposed to survive radiation and maybe spiders too but I didn't know that they are also heat resistant...
Can someone explain how they can survive something like that?
Is their chitin protecting them? But I thought microwaves go through nearly all materials (at least organic)..

I've seen ants walk around a microwave like nothing was going on. Not sure what thats all about.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Normally I thought that everything in the microwave becomes really hot because the waves bring the molecules into movement (very simplified but I guess that's how a microwave works). Since ants, spiders and cockroaches are made of molecules I would assume that their inside becomes really hot and that they should explode because of the pressure which builds up under their armor :|
Maybe I'm missing something important :/
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Microwaves heat water and fat mainly. Thats why if you microwave something like a hotdog, it gets really hot, but if you microwave a cracker, I dont think it will get hot at all. The goo inside spiders must not count as water or fat. Or maybe he was in the middle of all the dirt and was somewhat affected, but not enough to die. Either way, I hope you killed the spider afterwards, or you may now have a radioactive super-spider lurking around. :)
Quote:Original post by CosmoKramer
Microwaves heat water and fat mainly. Thats why if you microwave something like a hotdog, it gets really hot, but if you microwave a cracker, I dont think it will get hot at all. The goo inside spiders must not count as water or fat. Or maybe he was in the middle of all the dirt and was somewhat affected, but not enough to die. Either way, I hope you killed the spider afterwards, or you may now have a radioactive super-spider lurking around. :)

Oh, you TOTALY have to let it bite you! Maybe you can be spiderman!
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Good idea... Too bad, it won't bite me, it runs away :/ Come back you cowardly spider!!!
Anyone got some kryptonite?
These things make you realize that we are just silly hairless chimps with abnormal brains.
Quote:Original post by infrmtn
These things make you realize that we are just silly hairless chimps abnormal brains.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
I think small insects might not get hit by the microwaves!?

/MindWipe

Check this article as the waves period/2 is only around like 12cm.

"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Does your microwave have a rotating tray? If not (or if you had it turned off), it doesn't seem too far-fetched that an ant, for example, might survive should it be lucky enough to find itself near a node of the standing wave formed by the interference patterns of microwaves reflecting off of the oven's walls, considering that the wavelength used in most ovens is about 12 cm.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement