attractive ?

Started by
6 comments, last by Fenryl 18 years, 11 months ago
i dont know this is the good section for this, but i was wondering something... I've designed a game some time ago, it looks like this: you as the player plays in a medieval world without a real story or something... you just live in that world and survive, fight against monsters and these sort of things. nuw i learned some more about game design i wondered about that this game would be attractive to the players ? shouldent this game be a litle boring ?
Advertisement
If it's a simpler Mario-esque 2d platformer, the "story" might not require any more depth than "Defend the kingdom." This could be all the backdrop that is needed.

Did you ever play Joust? I don't remember that one having a premise past "Knock the other guy off his flying ostrich." Or Pitfall, where the player just runs around jumping over obstacles and picking up loot against a timer.

Maybe the depth of gameplay affects the minimum level of storyline expected from the player?
-----
Some games don't really need much of a premise, much like Tetris, or even Doom when it first came out. There are other games out there that feature survival such as Notrium, which is a pretty good little game.
The Sims seems to still be selling well - and that has no plot and a less exotic setting. There is certainly a market for sand-box type games.

If you're contemplating a more objective-driven game, then others have already given examples of games where the plot is irrelevant. If the gameplayis interesting enough, all you need is some way of telling what your immediate goal should be, and you're good to go for hours of fun...
But medieval people did not fight monsters! I think it would be much more interesting if you instead had to cook turnips and toil in the fields all day, just like a real medieval person.
And be oppressed.
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
You may be interested in some of TechnoGoth's posts reguarding his 'Virtual Village' ideas. There are some others, but to get you started, two of the threads are here and here.

The idea of simply being put in a world in which things are going on is an interesting one, and if the world is detailed enough, then (interesting) things should just automatically happen. One of the things that works in your favour here is the natural human instinct to tinker; 'What happens if I do this?' Create a fairly detailed world which the player can have an effect on, and theoretically they should be occupied well enough without a traditional story - they can amuse themselves by trying out different actions and watching the results, and if the system is designed well enough, some stories should begin to emerge all by themselves with a little help from the imagination of the players.

In any case, just thought you may be interested in those old threads, they're pretty interesting. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

more exactly, the game is a sort of RPG with the typical RPG-world where you have to fight monsters, with magic etc...
but this RPG havent got a story, you're just a guy that lives in tgaht world thats all...

Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
You may be interested in some of TechnoGoth's posts reguarding his 'Virtual Village' ideas. There are some others, but to get you started, two of the threads are here and here.

The idea of simply being put in a world in which things are going on is an interesting one, and if the world is detailed enough, then (interesting) things should just automatically happen. One of the things that works in your favour here is the natural human instinct to tinker; 'What happens if I do this?' Create a fairly detailed world which the player can have an effect on, and theoretically they should be occupied well enough without a traditional story - they can amuse themselves by trying out different actions and watching the results, and if the system is designed well enough, some stories should begin to emerge all by themselves with a little help from the imagination of the players.

In any case, just thought you may be interested in those old threads, they're pretty interesting. [smile]

yeah, that was my idea want to make the player have he's own story to tell after finishing the game, but i dont know this is attracitive enough to let people play this game long enough...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement