good program for 2D models?

Started by
5 comments, last by Sir Sapo 18 years, 10 months ago
I wrote a nice 2D graphics engine for myself that uses textured/colored meshes for objects instead of bitmaped sprites. I did it that way because it allows me to cleanly animate an object simply by moving the various meshes that comprise it (such as making a character walk by moving its four or so leg segments according to a simple formula) and/or substituting/modifying the materials the mesh(es) were skinned with. I have tested the system with simple meshes like circles and squares that I generated with algorithms, so I know it works. The only problem is that I need a way to create more complex content for my engine. I know that there are many 3D modeling programs out there, however I have used several and the interfaces are much more complex and cumbersom than is necessary for making 2D models, and yet seem to lack easy ways to do things like create individual triangles, rather than cones or spheres or cubes. I thought about making my own 2D modeling program, but even with the complications of 3D removed, that is simply too large of a project for me to undertake on my own right now. I noticed that Blender is open source and has extensive support for Python scripting, so I was wondering if maybe I could get the functionality and some of the ease of use that I want by modifying Blender. Would someone tell me if that is a good idea? Is there some other 3D or 2D program which I have overlooked that would fit my needs better? Thank you for your time and input.
Advertisement
Would not a CAD program or some sort of vector based drawing program work? Maybe an SVG editor would suit. I don't know if this is what you mean, but I would use something like SVG if I was doing that cause it's easy to parse. I reckon any vector package would suit.

WDIT - Just on a side note Anim8or will let you create individual polygons. Use the draw edge tool and fill.
An SVG editor might work; I'm still looking into that. I don't think a CAD program is going to cut it though because I need to be able to color and texture the models.
Quote: and yet seem to lack easy ways to do things like create individual triangles, rather than cones or spheres or cubes

From what I understood you want 3d flat models and your engine uses flat meshes. So you need 3d flat(2d) models.

software: 3dsmax/truespace/maya...........

You can use nurbs, just draw the figure and extrude one time, you can texture, color, whatever. It will be a flat model that you can send to your 2d engine.
Quote:Original post by datxcod
Quote: and yet seem to lack easy ways to do things like create individual triangles, rather than cones or spheres or cubes

From what I understood you want 3d flat models and your engine uses flat meshes. So you need 3d flat(2d) models.

software: 3dsmax/truespace/maya...........

You can use nurbs, just draw the figure and extrude one time, you can texture, color, whatever. It will be a flat model that you can send to your 2d engine.

That sounds like what I am looking for. Blender seems to be able to do nurbs as well, so I think Blender + nurbs + a python export script for my engine's file format should do it. . . Thanks!

Rating++
You can use splines as well. They don't form round edges like nurbs.
A real simple one is QModeler. You can create individual triangles in that program, but it is really basic, so no primitives or anything fancy.
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement