Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Simple Font API

Started by ChaosX2 Jul 18, 2005 at 10:29 PM 5 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
ChaosX2
ChaosX2
I'm trying to find a simple font API to use in a cross platform game engine. I just need to be able to print text out to the consol and hud display. Right now I'm using GLFW for the windowing and input system. I've tried glFont but the fonts it generates are terrible. I've also tried ftgl but I haven't been able to get it to compile with GLFW. Can you recommend any simple font api for opengl that is also cross platform? Thanks.
DarkMessiaH
DarkMessiaH
If you want to make your programme cross-platfrom,the only possible approuch is to write your own font api,based on texture-mapped fonts.For more details,check NeHe's lesson 17
NLDEV
NLDEV
You should be able to get FTGL to work with GLFW, IIRC.
What kind of problems are you having with the two?
cozman
cozman
I recently released something you might want to have a look at: GLFTFont, you'll need to link my class as well as freetype2. The example application even comes with a GLFW-based sample. You can also feel free to contact me with any questions/problems.
ChaosX2
ChaosX2
Quote:
Original post by mhamlin
You should be able to get FTGL to work with GLFW, IIRC.
What kind of problems are you having with the two?


I'm having no problems getting GLFW working. Just getting FTGL, I was just wondering if it worth the effort to get working. Right now most of my problems with FTGL are just compile problems. I wish I had the code setup in front of me so I can display the problems I am having.
ChaosX2
ChaosX2
Quote:
Original post by cozman
I recently released something you might want to have a look at: GLFTFont, you'll need to link my class as well as freetype2. The example application even comes with a GLFW-based sample. You can also feel free to contact me with any questions/problems.


Interesting suggestion. I'd prefer to stick with stable releases, but I'm willing to give anything a try. Thanks.
ChaosX2
ChaosX2
Quote:
Original post by DarkMessiaH
If you want to make your programme cross-platfrom,the only possible approuch is to write your own font api,based on texture-mapped fonts.For more details,check NeHe's lesson 17


That would be my last option. I want to get a basic engine up and running ASAP. After I get it going I'm going to replace some API's with my own.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.