first programming language

Started by
14 comments, last by Fenryl 18 years, 8 months ago
I was wondering about wahts the first programming language. Some people says Cobolt, on another site there is written thta it was a language named A0... What was the first one?
Advertisement
I guess it kind of depends on what you classify as a programming language. Back in the day it was stacks of punch cards, and even before that it was just plugging stuff up in different orders.
I mean high-level, or a sort of high-level I guess the first program language wasn't very easy...
The first "programming language" was machine code. The first high-level language that is still in use today is Fortran. Not sure about the very first.
I heard the first one was a more "human-readable" version of bytecode
Quote:Original post by Fenryl
I heard the first one was a more "human-readable" version of bytecode

The first "language" of a machine is it's assembly. It IS a more human-readable way to send the processing unit raw instructions. It is the lowest level you can go short of physically manipulating the computer. (Plugging and unplugging wires, etc.)

Note that any computer (term used loosely) has his own, unique assembly. Here you can read a bit about x86 assembly, which is your average PC's assembly.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Computer Languages History

High-level is quite vague. Some people call C a high level language. Others don't :).
Quote:Original post by SamLowry
Computer Languages History

High-level is quite vague. Some people call C a high level language. Others don't :).

Wow,... just how slow is Fortran? Fortran 90 was from 91,... 95 was in 97, the draft of 2000 was in 2002, and 2003 was in late 04,.... :P
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
I think Ada Byron (1815-1852), daughter of Lord Byron, is considered the first programmer.
link
tree On this tree you can see that the first language was A0. And that Fortran came after that...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement